• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,603 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

Does anyone know if these irons have currently legal grooves?

IMG_0945.jpg

Thanks

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 17 May 2017 - 03:56 PM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#2 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,603 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:03 AM

After further research, it appears that these irons conform to the PRE - 2010 USGA Groove Rule and are legal for amateur play until 2024, unless, a local tournament committee rules that competitive irons for a given tournament must comply to the POST - 2010 Groove Condition Rule.

These irons do not comply to the POST - 2010 Groove Condition Rule.

http://www.usga.org/...b-database.html

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 18 May 2017 - 05:04 AM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

#3 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,253 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

As you found, those do not conform to the new groove rule. They are legal for handicap purposes and local or club play, but they would not be legal to use at the state or national level (state am, USGA events, etc.).

#4 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,603 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

I found a strange anomaly - the MacGregor PRO M blades designed by Don White and Dave Wood are conforming, but the PRO CB are listed as not conforming to the 2010 rule.

Strange - they're the same head - just different versions - produced in the same years-

I play the PRO M - a sweet traditional blade.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 21 May 2017 - 03:10 PM.

#5 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,253 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

I wonder if the USGA has realized looking back now how little difference the groove rule change has made. Almost everyone in the industry said back then that it was a waste of time and I think that has been proven. I have yet to hear anyone say or see any evidence of a change in how they play a golf course as a result of less spin with the irons and wedges.