HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,232 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:05 AM

I don't know how many have had a chance to try out the new PXG 0811XF driver since it was recently released, but I have been testing it quite a bit and they seem to have REALLY gotten it right on this one. I'm really looking forward to fitting guys with this head based on the performance that I have seen. The forgiveness is flat out amazing, but what's even better is the sound and feel. I have never hit a driver that is so easy to hit and doesn't sound bad. This head is as forgiving as anything that I have seen, but sounds and feels REALLY solid. The trajectory and distance is right up there with everything else as well. After some range time and on course testing, this driver is real close to making it into the bag as my new gamer. I have a couple of final shaft setups that I want to try, but so far I have been blown away by what might be one of the best all around drivers that I have ever hit.

I'll be honest as a PXG dealer that the original 0811 driver wasn't the easiest fit for a lot of players for several reasons. The fairway woods and hybrids have always been awesome in my opinion from day one, but they had some ways to go on the driver in order to be able to fit a wider variety of players than you could with the 0811. The 0811X helped optimize higher spin players, but I feel still isn't right for the majority. The 0811XF on the other hand is just a damn good driver by a company who in a short time has become highly revered for their irons and wedges. I have a ton of experience now in working with the PXG heads which has been a very successful line for me as a fitter, but I can honestly say now that they have come on strong with an extremely good line up from top to bottom now.

Just wanted to share what I have seen since I didn't know how many people have hit the 0811XF driver and was curious what those who have thought about it.

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG

#2 Yarra

Yarra

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Handicap:Impatience

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

Hoss,

I have similar experience with their new XF driver.  As always, PXG's newest product is not replacing the old ones but rather complementing the other products that they have.

They claimed that the XF is for 'beginner' (so to speak), the most forgiving but yet the higher-spinning than the X.  I was not expecting anything when I put one to try out but I was genuinely surprised by the result I saw on the course.  It was really forgiving, it goes just as long than the X for me (low-spin player now) and feels really good.  With the X, I really have to put effort and go at it to get the ball up in the air.  With an XF, I can do it with ease and yet when I go at it, the ball still don't spin excessively.

I found myself playing a 12° 0811X due to the low spin nature of the head (in the past, I played 8.5° and 9° heads) and I still get some knuckballs once in a while.  With the XF, I was trying out a 10.5° to start off but at the end I found the optimum setting was at -1.5°.  I have yet to try the 9° head.

Also, it was much easier to find a shaft that can perform really well with an XF head.  I found my best results with a TPT shaft, 17MKP.  But 2017 Diamana X and Fujikura Speeder Platinum perform great in the XF as well.

The only downside is that the head is very light compared to the 0811 and 0811X versions.  I like to play my driver at 44-44.5 inch and it is hard to find my preferred swing weight with a light head.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PXG, 0811XF