rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI
  • Handicap:3.0

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:46 AM

We have a season-long, two man best ball tournament at our club. Tuesday eve my partner and I won our match 5&3. I shot 67, which is the best round I've ever played. I missed two fairways and one green all night, with a 3 putt and the one missed green causing the only two blemishes on the card. Every iron was dead at the flag. With each dart thrown, my buddies who were our opponents were having a fit and it was great. With the sun going down, the match completed, they wanted to get in the full 18 because they knew what I had going. I was 3 Under the last 4 holes, almost holing out on the 16th from the fairway and almost a hole in one on the par 3 last. It was an awesome night.

I've really struggled the last two seasons. Handicap went from 1 to now a 4 and my scores are all over the map. At 59 I've been wondering if my best golf is behind me. Now I know it's not. It's in there. I just need to bring it out. July 4th shot 70, now this! Funny thing is, one of the buddies I beat the other night is the one who a few weeks ago noticed a bad takeaway move and helped me fix it. He wasn't happy getting beat, but was supportive of the round I played. It was so much better doing it in front of friends who are good competitors, versus a couple of mopes who would have been downers to play with. Last night was league night, word had gotten out and I was getting a lot of shouts. Fun times!

Now... to see if I can keep the magic flowing this weekend in our club championship. I've taken second several times and face some stiff competition again, with several plus handicappers in the field.

Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana Blue 60 stiff
Titleist 915F 15*, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff
Titleist 915H 18*, Aldila Rogue Black 85 stiff
Titleist 714AP2, 4-PW, KBS Tour stiff
Titleist, SP5 wedges, 50-12F, 54-14F, 58-11K, KBS Tour stiff
Ping Craz-E 35", Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip
Titleist ProV1

"Got my gun, got my dog, killed something today. Life is good."

#2 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

That's awesome! Other than winning a tournament, shooting your career low round is the best feeling in golf. It's been quite a few years since my career low, but I still recall every shot. Congrats and keep it the good play going!!!

#3 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:6

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Now that is what I call a Great round of  Golf!  67 is a great score. Period.

Interesting you said that "It's in there, Now I have to let it go".    True.  How often do we talk negatively about golf and other things in life...

I discovered  this at a teenager one day, when  we went out to our local executive course.  I wanted desperately to get a hole in one.  Well, to my disappointment, I hit the pin a number of times that day. Not happy.  After the round, my friends said, standing inside next to the owner/pro, Hey Pat, didn't get that hole in one, but you tied the course record!  Pros reaction was interesting.  His number.   Big deal...  Just wanted that hole in one. Years later, looking back, it was one positive thought through out the day -

Just one -- hit it in the hole.  Some say "Take dead aim",  mind over matter, see the shot, etc.  Somehow, for me, it just works.   I don't ask, I just go with it!  

Anyway, it's great hearing about your record round!  

Keep us posted , I believe more great rounds are coming your way!

There is no such thing as Luck.

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 14 August 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#4 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

Bing: Right on! You  make your own luck!

The club championship was all Jekyll and Hyde for me. Saturday made bogie after every birdie. Sunday made 10 straight pars before becoming discombobulated. Frustrating, but old habits take a while to work out of the system. When I take the club back properly the result is good. When the old habit creeps in, it's not. 

I got ribbed all weekend long, because I was paired both days with guys who hit it way past me. One was a 16 year old kid who is maybe 125 lbs dripping wet. Sunday I told them that I loved it because my normal round in league or playing couples, is I tee off, then go right to help someone look for a ball, then left to help another, then watch as each player hits 2-3 more shots before I get to play my second. This weekend I often hit my tee shot, then was first to hit from the fairway, which makes for a much better rhythm. 

Next up is our annual grudge match against the club from across town. We play rounds of fourball, foresomes and singles. It's one of my favorite outings of the year. Good golf and I love the team atmosphere. Last year we beat them at their club, then drank in their bar after they all left.

Titleist ProV1

#5 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

Bing: Right on! You  make your own luck!

The club championship was all Jekyll and Hyde for me. Saturday made bogie after every birdie. Sunday made 10 straight pars before becoming discombobulated. Frustrating, but old habits take a while to work out of the system. When I take the club back properly the result is good. When the old habit creeps in, it's not. 

I got ribbed all weekend long, because I was paired both days with guys who hit it way past me. One was a 16 year old kid who is maybe 125 lbs dripping wet. Sunday I told them that I loved it because my normal round in league or playing couples, is I tee off, then go right to help someone look for a ball, then left to help another, then watch as each player hits 2-3 more shots before I get to play my second. This weekend I often hit my tee shot, then was first to hit from the fairway, which makes for a much better rhythm. 

Next up is our annual grudge match against the club from across town. We play rounds of fourball, foresomes and singles. It's one of my favorite outings of the year. Good golf and I love the team atmosphere. Last year we beat them at their club, then drank in their bar after they all left.

That's fantastic!  I got motivated again by reading about your 67 and watching Mr. Hogan at age 74 hit irons/ drivers on Youtube!  If you have a chance, check that video out.  Poor quality but the essence of the swing is still there and so are his positions.  Inspiring!!!

Yesterday, I carried two drivers, never a good idea.  Finally went with the Cobra and it really paid off.  Had the Bettinardi reweighed and gripped back to the Garsen, felt great but putting distances were way off.  Wife even commented:  "Gee, You are supposed to be a good Putter, What happened!?!" The round and conversation went down hill from there.  Luckily there weren't any dinner plates around on 16 after a little discussion on taking the pin and not walking on the line of the anticipated second putt.  Called the "flying plate discussion"...   Played well for not having picked up a club for a while since I have been super busy with the work thing.  

So, ended up walking off 18.  Better not to say anything -- I might have to buy a new driver!

I would say Good Luck for your grudge match but I don't think you need it!

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 18 August 2017 - 12:46 AM.

#6 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

Wives always know when to say the right thing at the right time! Husbands, though, NEVER say the right thing...

Events in a typical round with my wife:

Walking to the range: Her: "I don't want you telling me what to do today". Me: "OK."

Three swings into her warmup, after three duffed shots: Her: "What am I doing wrong?". Me" "Just keep swinging, you're not even warmed up yet". 

A few minutes later: Her: "What am I doing wrong?". Me: "What are the things I tell you every time we play? Square your feet to the target." Her: "I am". Me: No. You're not or the ball wouldn't be going so far right with that weak slice." Her: "You don't have to be such an asshole about it." I now go mute until we're several holes into the round.

Around the second or third hole: Her: "What should I hit here?". Me: "How far does your GPS say you have?" Her: "70 yards". Me: "what club to you hit from 70 yards?". Her: "You're not helping.".

Another hole, or two later she's got a sand wedge into the green, a shot she can hit pretty well. Of course, she only takes the club back about halfway, hits a shot that only covers half the distance. Her: "Damn!". Me: "It would help if you took a full swing, not a half swing". She doesn't say a thing, but I get the old stink eye as steam comes out of her ears.

You see how this goes. It's a lose, lose proposition for us.

Titleist ProV1

#7 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

Wives always know when to say the right thing at the right time! Husbands, though, NEVER say the right thing...

Events in a typical round with my wife:

Walking to the range: Her: "I don't want you telling me what to do today". Me: "OK."

Three swings into her warmup, after three duffed shots: Her: "What am I doing wrong?". Me" "Just keep swinging, you're not even warmed up yet". 

A few minutes later: Her: "What am I doing wrong?". Me: "What are the things I tell you every time we play? Square your feet to the target." Her: "I am". Me: No. You're not or the ball wouldn't be going so far right with that weak slice." Her: "You don't have to be such an asshole about it." I now go mute until we're several holes into the round.

Around the second or third hole: Her: "What should I hit here?". Me: "How far does your GPS say you have?" Her: "70 yards". Me: "what club to you hit from 70 yards?". Her: "You're not helping.".

Another hole, or two later she's got a sand wedge into the green, a shot she can hit pretty well. Of course, she only takes the club back about halfway, hits a shot that only covers half the distance. Her: "Damn!". Me: "It would help if you took a full swing, not a half swing". She doesn't say a thing, but I get the old stink eye as steam comes out of her ears.

You see how this goes. It's a lose, lose proposition for us.

Well, things are back to normal around the Bing household... Back to "work" and other diversions.

Golf together for us just never seems to work.  Probably the most "frigid air" during our 41 years of marriage.  

I remember telling Paul Runyan  him that my wife thought I was playing really well. Trying to complement him.  He said "Well, maybe you should be taking lessons from your wife!" -- Ouch!!!  Tough guy.  

After the shoe incident, we became friends.  Funny.  I'll have to write down some of my experiences with him.  

Bing

#8 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

I've found that giving my wife swing advice is a bad idea. She never practices so ingraining a new concept is practically impossible under the gun.

I just reserve my compliments for solid shots and good putts - she is a good putter and pool player.

Texsport

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#9 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:33 AM

My wife is like most people who play some golf. They don't practice, but expect better results each time out. She would shave 1 stroke per hole if she practiced her short game, even a little. I hate giving her advice when we play. It's the same thing every time, as she has the same swing flaws that creep in, such as the alignment issue I mentioned in the narrative above. She's new to the game. Never played any sports growing up and only took up golf after our kids were out of the house. She's gotten much better and enjoys it now.

Titleist ProV1

#10 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

My wife on the other hand after only a few range sessions and lessons that I gave her broke 100 in the first and only round of golf that she has ever played and shot in the 40's on the back nine. Has not hit a golf ball since then and that was about 7 years ago. I'm fine with her not wanting to be a golfer and that she couldn't care less about having talent, but seeing that would drive most people who love golf nuts. Definitely pays to be a good athlete with hand eye coordination plus she had the right equipment and a good caddy. :D