• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

Interesting display - Robert Mendralla's summary of Wilson Staff iron design history.

s-l1600.jpg

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 02 October 2017 - 09:37 PM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#2 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:6

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

Interesting display - Robert Mendralla's summary of Wilson Staff iron design history.

attachicon.gifs-l1600.jpg

Texsport

They still make that 1971 blade and the new V 6 which are beautiful!

Bing

#3 Righty to Lefty

Righty to Lefty

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationLenexa, Kansas
  • Handicap:5.4

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

They still make that 1971 blade and the new V 6 which are beautiful!

BingI 

I hit one ball with the V6 and if I was in the market for irons they would be in the bag. Fantastic set of irons.  

Driver: Cally XR16 Pro Tensei Pro White X Flex

3 Wood Cally XR16 Pro  Fujikura Evo II S Flex
2,3,4: Nickent 3DRX Hybrids Kuro Kage Proto 100X
Irons: Miura LH Cavity Backs KB Tour C Tapers X Flex
Wedges: Edel Wedges 51*,55*,59* KBS Tour X Flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Tank Putter
Ball: Wilson FG Tour X

#4 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

I hit one ball with the V6 and if I was in the market for irons they would be in the bag. Fantastic set of irons.  

Same here.  I have been looking at the MP 18's... but the Wilsons are a better club in feel and performance!

Bing

#5 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

I have tested the Wilson V4 5 and 6 irons. I was a Wilson 1958 DynaPower iron player for years - I just like compact blades.

Playing MacGregor PRO M blades with Mitsubishi RIP Tour S shafts now, for years,

I find the soles on most current irons oversized and clunky. The Wilson V4 with FiberSteel 110 S shaft does launch higher and carry well.

The Mizuno irons always look great, but have a little more offset than my MacGregors - has put me off up to now.

As long as I still have a stock of PRO M clubs, I likely won't switch.

The MP18s are very interesting however. 

Bing - By better performance, do you mean distance, forgiveness, etc?

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 22 October 2017 - 08:05 AM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

#6 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

I have tested the Wilson V4 5 and 6 irons. I was a Wilson 1958 DynaPower iron player for years - I just like compact blades.

Playing MacGregor PRO M blades with Mitsubishi RIP Tour S shafts now, for years,

I find the soles on most current irons oversized and clunky. The Wilson V4 with FiberSteel 110 S shaft does launch higher and carry well.

The Mizuno irons always look great, but have a little more offset than my MacGregors - has put me off up to now.

As long as I still have a stock of PRO M clubs, I likely won't switch.

The MP18s are very interesting however. 

Bing - By better performance, do you mean distance, forgiveness, etc?

Texsport

Tex,  I like standard lofts, nothing jacked up loft wise though out the set and standard thin soles, like my MP 69's.  With all the new distance irons, you have to make up for lack of loft with another wedge or two.  

I have hit the V6 and they just feel great and they are very accurate And  they look terrific over/behind the ball.  Best of all on the market! Old school look with high tech performance. Lovely! 

The Mizunos this year are interesting and I am  considering  them once I figure out which combination and shaft to go with, maybe.  The MP 18 is very traditional with the long and mid irons about the same size as the MP 4 which is probably their  best iron in years.  The 18's get a hair smaller from 7 - PW.  You might like that with the thinner soles. I think the ball is actually larger in width than the MP18 PW.  Very nice for shot shaping, knock downs, etc.  Very traditional -- finally!  We are now going back around to real golf clubs.

I am not sure of the MP18 SC with the thicker sole and thicker top line.  There  is a comparison chart on the Mizuno  european site once you click into the iron section.  Very informative, which gives offset, top line, lofts, length, bounce, etc. on all of the 17 and 18 irons.  

I currently play the JPX900 Tours which fits right into my "wheelhouse" as they say But they are Not an MP iron feel wise.  I keep looking at the PW,  it looks huge!  

Right now, I am looking at the Aerotech shafts in either a 95 or 110 gram shaft.  I hit the 95 in a set of MP59's and I thought they were excellent but in the shorter irons,  they could be a bit  heavier.  It looks like there are two versions of the 110.  Constant Weight might be the ticket.

What I have gleaned from reviews and such, that the Aerotechs in 95 and 110,  play slightly stiffer than the indicated flex.  

Have you noticed the slight difference in extra stiffness?

Anyway, I am up in Montana right now nursing a sprained anke and knee after falling into an otter hole on the Madison River on Tuesday evening.  So, I have been sitting here reading specs on irons and checking the Mizuno Europe site every 30 minutes looking at the MP 18 irons...  Sad isn't it??? 

Friends just texted a photo of their success tonight -- 6 browns landed, largest at 24 inches.  Thanks guys...

My wife told me to come home early and we could go down to Monterrey instead of spending another $900 for a new fly rod...  Sounds good to me!

Please let me know what you think of the Aerotech shafts.

Thanks!

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 26 October 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#7 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

Bing

Sorry to hear of your accidental otter hole encounter. Not the best for knees I'd suspect.

Thanks for the iron information. Mizunos may be in my future.

I was pleasantly surprised by the 110 S Aerotech Fibersteel in my Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6 irons.

I have played RIP Tour 115 S shafts for a few years and gave up looking at graphite iron shafts a couple of years back. My long arms and necessary flat swing dictate 1/2" over length and 3* flat irons. The extra length actually makes the shafts play slightly stiffer than S, but the RIP's have been great for me. 

With age I have been able to maintain my iron distances pretty well, but have noticed some of the newer irons produce more distance than my butter knife blades. I wondered about the possibility of stretching my 5 iron distance slightly, to eliminate my 4-iron and add another wedge. That's how I came to order the Wilson Staff 5 and 6 with Fibersteel 110 S shafts - Wilson had no RIP 115s, as they are discontinued. So I ordered the 110S Fibersteels thinking I could switch shafts to the 115s I have a reserve stock of. 

Well, I hit the WS 5 and 6 110 S Fibersteels a bit further than my MacGregor PRO 5 and 6 with RIP 115S - and just as straight! The most obvious difference is that the FiberSteel 110 S is very intolerant of thin strikes, while the RIP Tour 115 S is only slightly intolerant. I don't hit thin shots, so it's not an issue for me, but worth mentioning.

Though the feels are very slightly different, and the larger heads of the WS seem slightly clunky, they're still good. And I have shelved my 4-iron. 

For reference, I carry the 110S Fibersteel 5-iron 195-200 yds.

I have considered ordering a WS 4-iron with 110S Fibersteel, for windy days to replace my 21* hybrid - but it's a bit like your extra fly rod I calculate. 

Bottom line, I like the 110S Fibersteels in longer irons anyway.

I hope you get back in the river sooner than later.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 01 November 2017 - 01:04 AM.