rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI
  • Handicap:3.0

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

My wife and I are planning a golf trip to Scotland late August/early September 2018. We're going to stay 4 nights in St. Andrews. A bucket list item for me is playing the Old Course. I'll look at getting on as a single, as Kathy is not handicap eligible.

Part of our dilemma is planning fights. Depending on our day of departure, flight costs vary.  An itinerary that takes us to St. Andrews Monday-Thursday is more expensive. Another would have us there over the weekend. I think tee times would be easier to get during the week. 

I'm a little confused about Sunday closures of the course. Are all the St. Andrews courses closed on Sundays, or just the Old Course?

Can anyone offer advice on our timing?

We are not going through a travel agent, or a booking company that has secured tee times. What were your experiences in booking tees times? Two methods for booking tee times, paying in advance more than two days, or within two days [pay at the starter]. If we book ahead and I get on the Old Course as a single, how do they handle our cancellation of the other tee time?

Any advice you can offer will be most appreciated.

Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana Blue 60 stiff
Titleist 915F 15*, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff
Titleist 915H 18*, Aldila Rogue Black 85 stiff
Titleist 714AP2, 4-PW, KBS Tour stiff
Titleist, SP5 wedges, 50-12F, 54-14F, 58-11K, KBS Tour stiff
Ping Craz-E 35", Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip
Titleist ProV1

"Got my gun, got my dog, killed something today. Life is good."

#2 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:6

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

Or, you can just show up in Scotland or Ireland and look like a player. Have a Hogan bag with some old blades.  Works for me.  

There are a lot of local "munis" and you can just walk on, same as with the Open a while ago.  

Interesting they close down the courses on Sunday.  Family day. .  Here in America you can't miss making a day without making a buck.  Refreshing if you ask me.

Bomg

#3 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

We're booked! 2 nights in Edinburgh, 4 nights in St. Andrews checking in Monday and leaving Friday, 3 nights in North Berwick, then one last night in Edinburgh before we fly home.

In St. Andrews we're staying at the Golf Inn. Out the front door, turn right and you're looking down the block at the Old Course #18 green. 

The leaves are coming off the trees fast here. Keep the ball in the fairway or you may not find it! Peak color was last weekend. After shooting a limit of woodcock in the morning, Kathy and I celebrated the upcoming trip by playing a little golf. It was 46-47* with a nice stiff breeze. Played the round in my Chuckie Taylors, as I forgot golf shoes at home.

Tomorrow afternoon might be my last round of Wisconsin golf for the year. I'm playing in a scramble at a convention in Nashville next week, then two hunting trips cover the last two weeks our course is open.

Titleist ProV1

#4 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

We're booked! 2 nights in Edinburgh, 4 nights in St. Andrews checking in Monday and leaving Friday, 3 nights in North Berwick, then one last night in Edinburgh before we fly home.

In St. Andrews we're staying at the Golf Inn. Out the front door, turn right and you're looking down the block at the Old Course #18 green. 

The leaves are coming off the trees fast here. Keep the ball in the fairway or you may not find it! Peak color was last weekend. After shooting a limit of woodcock in the morning, Kathy and I celebrated the upcoming trip by playing a little golf. It was 46-47* with a nice stiff breeze. Played the round in my Chuckie Taylors, as I forgot golf shoes at home.

Tomorrow afternoon might be my last round of Wisconsin golf for the year. I'm playing in a scramble at a convention in Nashville next week, then two hunting trips cover the last two weeks our course is open.

Let me know if you need a caddy!  

Talk of going over maybe next year or so.  A friend of mine wants to go, aka Big Hitter, and its always fun to go on a golf trip with him.  

Some golf and even better "tasting sessions".  Real Beer Matters! 

Up in Montana and getting ready to tie a few number 18's and 20's  dry flys tomorrow.  A couple large guys on the surface sipping blue winged olives.  That gets the heart pumping at 7200 ft.  

Friend called and wants me to meet him near "Cardiac" hill and fish the Madison into YNP.  Worried about the climb back out...

Interesting, I have a new custom 5 wt rod made especially for this river.  Hate it!!!  New technology, better everything but doesn't perform.

Maybe not enough spin... HaHaHa!  Always something. :rolleyes:  

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 18 October 2017 - 07:09 PM.

#5 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:31 AM

Ha! Yes! Real beer matters! I hate watered down American beer. We have a local brewery here, Bull Falls Brewery. He has a Bavarian stile Pilsner on now that is really good. I love the English cask ales and will be tipping a few when we travel over there in 2018.

The trout expedition sounds like heaven on earth. Here in WI, I fish walleyes. Am taking by boat in today to get winterized and stretch wrapped to store for the winter.

Last eve it was 70* and the wind blowing like Scotland from the west. Our #6 is a 540 par 5, playing quartering into the wind off the left. Thirty yards of left to right drift off a drawn tee shot.  Third shot I'm about 50 yards out, played an 8 iron back in my stance, low runner landing in from of the green and rolling all the way within 6' of a back pin. A hole later I'm a 7 iron out, pulled the 4 iron and hit a low cutting runner that landed 20 yards in front of the green and ran up to 10'. Love it! Normal golf here is fly it high and land on target. Will practice the ground game to prepare for our trip next year.

Our golf season is coming to a close. The last two seasons I've gone from  a 1, to a 4 early this season. Frustrating. Worked a little with our pro on one bad habit. A buddy who is a +2 helped me more. His tips have me striping it with authority again. At 59 I'm still leaking distance, but my ball striking has been so much better towards summer's end. Back to a 2 now. I wish the season didn't have to end.

Titleist ProV1

#6 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

Ha! Yes! Real beer matters! I hate watered down American beer. We have a local brewery here, Bull Falls Brewery. He has a Bavarian stile Pilsner on now that is really good. I love the English cask ales and will be tipping a few when we travel over there in 2018.

The trout expedition sounds like heaven on earth. Here in WI, I fish walleyes. Am taking by boat in today to get winterized and stretch wrapped to store for the winter.

Last eve it was 70* and the wind blowing like Scotland from the west. Our #6 is a 540 par 5, playing quartering into the wind off the left. Thirty yards of left to right drift off a drawn tee shot.  Third shot I'm about 50 yards out, played an 8 iron back in my stance, low runner landing in from of the green and rolling all the way within 6' of a back pin. A hole later I'm a 7 iron out, pulled the 4 iron and hit a low cutting runner that landed 20 yards in front of the green and ran up to 10'. Love it! Normal golf here is fly it high and land on target. Will practice the ground game to prepare for our trip next year.

Our golf season is coming to a close. The last two seasons I've gone from  a 1, to a 4 early this season. Frustrating. Worked a little with our pro on one bad habit. A buddy who is a +2 helped me more. His tips have me striping it with authority again. At 59 I'm still leaking distance, but my ball striking has been so much better towards summer's end. Back to a 2 now. I wish the season didn't have to end.

Love hitting those knock downs with irons.  Since I live in Oregon, playing on the coast, knock downs are crucial if you want to score. Wedges to hybrids.  

Most of my friends, check that, All, can't hit a knock down to save their @$$!  I chip with a 4 iron at Bandon where they are flying it high with a LW.  Doesn't work so well in a 25 to 35 mph wind.  

I was at a Callaway Tournament a few years back with my youngest daughter at PB and I told here to watch them hit the short shots at the practice area.  She said, why do they fly the ball so high and they aren't that accurate?  I told her that they didn't have a 'proper instructor" like Mr. R, like you do!  I just smiled.  She was right!

It's a lost art in the game of golf.  Fly it high and hope it stops near the hole.  I am  actually thinking of making the chip/pitch and reading the green.  Not sure if many do that.... Just saying'.  A couple of guys at my club asked me how I do what I do.  I said, I just keep it on the ground if I can.  Simple.

Not trying to blow my own horn here but one day I left my putter at home practicing in the living room.  Got to the first tee and told the starter that I had forgotten my putter, I'll have to go in a find a used one to play the round.  Starter said one of the nicest things to me in all of my 60 years playing golf --I really didn't know him.  Said, Mr. __, with your  short game, you don't need a damn putter!  That was really one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me.  

Anyway, that's how golf is meant to be played and beer and whisky/whiskey are meant to be made.

Have a Great Time!

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 26 October 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#7 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

Bing

What's your setup like for long chips and pitches?

Any Paul Runyan or Phil Rodgers in there?

That's how I do it.

Besides the short game, I practice 1/2 shots every range session, with every club, all the way thru my hybrid, and like hitting them more than full shots also. I can hit useful shots, and practice my arm connection thru impact - Geoff Jones aka "Swingfixer's" 9 to 3 drill.

An illustration of punched shot use -

I remember a story told to me by a local pro, who had the opportunity to play a practice round with Sam Snead, many years ago

On a windy, 185 yd par 3, Sam watched the other pros hit 4,5, and 6 iron shots. Sam pulled a 2 iron and punched it in 3 feet away.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 08 November 2017 - 08:43 PM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#8 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

I practice those 9 to 3 shots all the time, with different clubs. Can't count the number of times I've faced a shot with low branches and have to hit one low to roll up. I know I can do it because I've done it on the range. I'll do it with the driver, too. One eve, playing a 3 man scramble with 12 guys for skins, our cocktail league. Cold, windy. 200 yard par 3 right into the wind. I hit driver, choked up, punched, maybe 10' off the ground, it lands just short of the green and rolls to 10'. A lot of groans from the group. No one else on the green. Only one guy noticed I hit the driver and he asked me WTF I was doing. Same guy saw me punch a driver once on a par 4 with water crossing the fairway where I'd normally hit 3 wood close down to the water. Into the wind I trust punching the driver to get there instead of the 3 wood, which would balloon in the wind. Take something off and spank it.

I played my last golf two weeks ago in a charity scramble at a convention in Nashville. We won and had a great time doing it. 40* when we teed off. A bit of a breeze. I hit a lot of knock down irons into the greens. We started with 5 straight pars and birdied out. It's a shame our season is over. I had struggled last year into this. Crept up from a 2 to a 4. Got a little help and turned it around. Shot a 67, my all-time best round. Now back down to 2.

My next golf will be in Fort Myers when we visit my sister in February. Winter is setting in here. 30's for highs. We had snow here at home while I was in Iowa pheasant hunting this past weekend. 

On the way home I stopped at Cabelas in Owatona, MN to check out clay bird throwers. My shooting in Iowa was embarrassing. Just like in golf, it pays to practice and I haven't done near enough shooting this fall. Next year I'll have the Mrs. pull the string on the thrower and have better shooting as a result. Our bird season will start shortly after we return from Scotland.

Edited by rfdegen, 07 November 2017 - 04:28 PM.

Titleist ProV1

#9 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

I abandoned Minnesota for golf 1 month ago, but use punched approaches there and here in Texas for back pins most of the time - as Mr Hogan suggested.

My son lives up there and he's about to do some grouse and pheasant hunting + a new addition to northern MN - turkeys, which seem to be everywhere lately. He's trying out a new Benelli 828U.

Playing golf tomorrow in S Texas myself - it was 92* today.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 09 November 2017 - 10:38 AM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

#10 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

POPULAR

Bing

What's your setup like for long chips and pitches?

Any Paul Runyan or Phil Rodgers in there?

That's how I do it.

Besides the short game, I practice 1/2 shots every range session, with every club, all the way thru my hybrid, and like hitting them more than full shots also. I can hit useful shots, and practice my arm connection thru impact - Geoff Jones aka "Swingfixer's" 9 to 3 drill.

An illustration of punched shot use -

I remember a story told to me by a local pro, who had the opportunity to play a practice round with San Snead, many years ago.

On a windy, 185 yd par 3, Sam watched the other pros hit 4,5, and 6 iron shots. Sam pulled a 2 iron and punched it in 3 feet away.

Texsport

Tex,  my set up for long chips is basically using a 6 iron, played back in the stance, weight on left side or basically turing the 6 iron into a 5 iron. At Bandon with the huge greens, I used a 4 iron played in the middle of my stance which worked very well.  Putting grip, hands opposed equally, of course.  

Stance is not square, I find it a bit restricting, but Mr. R. played it that way with a slight toe out.  Didn't work for me as well as the left foot pulled back a touch.

I hovered the club a bit and toe down to have the shaft perpendicular to the ground. Assuming a  good and level lie.  

I focused on the back of the ball on the exact spot and almost as the same time as impact, my head would follow the shot down the line.  I know Gary Player says to keep your head still (putting) until you hear it drop (ball) but I prefer the down the line follow through which is very accurate for me.  I think Anika!  

Jay and Bill Hass were out here with Mr. Trevino and I watched Bill pitch a few short shots in for a very low score hovering around 60 ish.  My thought is that if he doesn't keep that up or doesn't constantly practice that shot it can get a bit ugly.  Too long, way too short, etc.

I think it was last year or so that Jay finally jumped in to help with the short around the green shots getting away from the high lofted short pitch shot which seemed not to be working as well.  He basically showed him the lost art of the putt/chip.  Interesting... I think Feherty had said something nice about Mr. R. and this technique.    

One of my friends last spring, just came back from a golf camp mostly short game and gave me a lesson on this  :rolleyes: Explained to me why we should be chipping with an short iron not a wedge.  I didn't want to burst his bubble...  

I explained the rule of 11 with the irons and I said I could have saved him about $$$$.$$!  

There is a lot more but this is basically what I do.  

Bing

#11 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

Been helping my wife with her chipping.

Today she really got the feel for it, chipping one in for a birdie with a 7-iron.

She wanted to play 27 holes, she was so fired up!

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 08 November 2017 - 08:46 PM.

#12 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

Been helping my wife with her chipping.

Today she really got the feel for it, chipping one in for a birdie with a 7-iron.

She wanted to play 27 holes, she was so fired up!

Texsport

Wow, that's Great!!!  It is definitely a feel shot but once you get it, it works great.  

Heading to Monterey, PG next week.  Of course there will be "new shaft testing" at the PG driving range and probably a lot of knock downs on the back 9. Chipping PW, 8 's in the evening  with the new lighter shafts.  We'll see how the Aerotech with a Mizuno blade works in the wind...

Liking the Aerotech shafts so far.

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 09 November 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#13 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

Only drawback for me with graphite iron shafts is that they really don't like thin shots.

The punched shot brings that possibility into play.

The RIP Tour 115gm shafts have a naturally lower trajectory for me - 7-iron thru PW for me.

The Aerotech 110gm in my 5 and 6-irons fly a little higher with more spin. A little more of a challenge.

Have fun with the testing!

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 09 November 2017 - 10:39 AM.

#14 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

POPULAR

Only drawback for me with graphite iron shafts is that they really don't like thin shots.

The punched shot brings that possibility into play.

The RIP Tour 115gm shafts have a naturally lower trajectory for me - 7-iron thru PW for me.

The Aerotech 110gm in my 5 and 6-irons fly a little higher with more spin. A little more of a challenge.

Have fun with the testing!

Texsport

Thanks Tex!

Played the 6 and 8 iron  (Aerotech 110) the past week in some awful wind and weather.  I used the new B stone in S and RX and the S is the ticket in the wind.  Impressive!

I did notice a bit higher flight then my Dynamics AWT/AMT, but overall distances were better.  Both excellent shafts.  Maybe another set in Aerotech and keep the Dynamics for wind.

Bing