Photo

Ok guys, Lwngthening irons, totally frowned upon?????

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raza1035

raza1035

BIO/CHEM DIVISION

• IED TECH

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

Hey, so I recently purchased a set of JPX 900 tour mizzys. I've been trying to go shorter and play on +1/2" (38.5" 5 iron) set. I just don't feel
Comfortable at all. The mizunos would need to be lengthened or plugged 1" to get to my comfortable length. Is this something that is totally ill advised???? I don't mind swingweoght going up, my biggest concern is shaft (stiffness, characteristics, etc) is it worth a try or do I need to bite the nullet and get a full reshaft????? Thanks guys!

#2 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,656 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:44 AM

Of course you'll have to adjust your lies.

Swing weight will increase, possibly as much as 8 swing weights, and since you are adding length by plugging the shafts, I'd guess you will have the same flex, but because of the swing weight, the clubs will play softer. ( If you cut the shafts longer instead of plugging, you'd probably get a stiffer shaft, as you shift the flex point higher into the stiffer part of the shaft).

I'm sure those with more expert opinions will chime in.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 24 February 2018 - 07:45 AM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#3 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:6

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

I still don't get that lengthen irons makes them stiffer...  Duh??? :D

Bing

#4 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,656 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

You are lengthening the stiffest part of the shaft - the butt.

So, the shaft is stiffer, but the swing weight increases if you don't use a lighter head, which will cancel out the stiffer shaft.

Use a lighter head to maintain the same swing weight you had before lengthening the shaft, would leave a longer, stiffer shaft.

Most often experienced with woods.

Another effect of lengthening the clubs is often a lower launch and trajectory - flex and balance points moved up the shaft.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 04 March 2018 - 01:57 PM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#5 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:6

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:31 PM

You are lengthening the stiffest part of the shaft - the butt.

So, the shaft is stiffer, but the swing weight increases if you don't use a lighter head, which will cancel out the stiffer shaft.

Use a lighter head to maintain the same swing weight you had before lengthening the shaft, would leave a longer, stiffer shaft.

Most often experienced with woods.

Another effect of lengthening the clubs is often a lower launch and trajectory - flex and balance points moved up the shaft.

Texsport

Ahh, forgot about the butt section...  Finally makes sense.

Bing