Gary J

DEMOLITION DIVISION

• IED TECH

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPawleys Island, SC
  • Handicap:18

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

Ever hear of it?  Me neither until I got it.  It's the ligament that goes from your heel to your toes on the underside of your feet.  It may get inflamed and may last a few weeks, months or forever.  Hurts like hell.  After 4 weeks mine is slightly improved and am I surprised to find it hurts me less to hit golf balls than walk.  Any good shoes recommended for this?  I will put inserts in them.  Seemed OK with inserts in my Crocs golf shoes but it seems they are not made anymore.

Gary

#2 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI
  • Handicap:3.0

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

One of my coworkers has struggled with it. All she ever wears is flipflops or crocs. For golf she wears sandles. Doctor told her to get good shoes and ditch the flpflops and crocs. She wore regular shoes until it went away, then went back to flipflops and it returned. Sore feet is no joke. I hope you find a good shoe with good arch support that helps. 

Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana Blue 60 stiff
Titleist 915F 15*, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff
Titleist 915H 18*, Aldila Rogue Black 85 stiff
Titleist 714AP2, 4-PW, KBS Tour stiff
Titleist, SP5 wedges, 50-12F, 54-14F, 58-11K, KBS Tour stiff
Ping Craz-E 35", Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip
Titleist ProV1

"Got my gun, got my dog, killed something today. Life is good."

#3 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:6

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

POPULAR

Battled this for several years after going with the more fashionable wingtip look and the swoosh shoes.  Not really made for waking a course.

Switched to Ecco's which completely eliminated the issue..

Telek flip flops for walking around the house instead of barefoot on hardwood floors.  

Worst case is going to Birkenstocks.  Very popular in downtown Portland.  My wife says I finally fit in to the Portlandia lifestyle -- short of a Prius and a man bun!

Bing 

#4 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,667 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:13 AM

Bing, Bing, Bing

Don't do it - my grandfather, a former Austrian Queen's Body Guard, used to warn his daughters concerning the dangers of smoking  "once a girl she smoke dat cigarette, everything else come easy"!

These things just fall in line after you start down that culturally validated road-

I use inserts in good old leather Foot Joy Classics!

I won't go near a Starbucks - I once went thru a Starbucks drive thru to buy a gift card for my wife to give as a gift. When I informed the tattooed kid at the window I only wanted a gift card but no coffee, I thought he'd faint - "Wait - WHAT"?

Texsport

P S - Got any fishing trips lined up? I'm getting ready for some Minnesota lake time myself.

Edited by Texsport, 04 May 2018 - 09:03 AM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#5 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

Bing - Man bun?!!!! Please say it isn't so! What the hecks a "Birkenstock"? Like Tex's grandfather, we don't go for that hippie stuff in these parts.

Tex - Our walleye opener is tomorrow, but our lake is still covered with ice. We've had really nice weather the past two weeks. Snow is gone. Our course opened on Monday, the courses we play north are opening today. There's a chance our lake's got some open water on it, but I'll be taking a little drive to look at a couple other [smaller and earlier to lose their ice] lakes to fish. Two weeks ago we had 30" of ice with a foot of snow on top, last weekend 24". Monday local TV news had a guy drill hole to show 10" on another lake nearby. I figure next weekend we'll be hammering the walleyes. This weekend's a crap shoot, but I'd like to get the boat in the water. Also, I have a turkey permit and if the snow isn't too deep I'll see about that. There's a bachelor flock hanging out around the golf course through the woods just 1/2 mile as the crow flies from my place.

Back to golf... Monday Kathy and I played nine after work. Our course came through the winter in fine shape. Wednesday our league started. One of my buddies shot 64. The knothead put a simulator in his house this winter, so has been playing golf for 2 months. He's grooving it! Me? I'm playing like it's early April, which weather-wise, is what it's like here.

Titleist ProV1

#6 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,667 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

rfdegen

Ice out last weekend in N MN - resident Loons showed up the same day to chase off any ducks, geese, or pelicans which might think they're going to fish there.

Golf course opens next Friday - Giants Ridge - I'll be there in a month for most of the summer.

Hit 'em straight!

Texsport

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

#7 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:39 AM

Tex: Saturday morning I checked out boat landings. 80% of our lake still covered with ice. Went turkey hunting and a big hot Tom busted me at about 10 yards. Came in fast behind a deadfall and saw me move my barrel. Darn...

After working on next winter's firewood supply, I launched the boat. Most of the ice was broken up, a pack of crystals, hexagonal shaped, 3-6" long. It tinkled like a crystal chandelier in a breeze as I idled through it . My evening fishing spot was open. I took one cast, noting the wind shifting. Within minutes the ice pack was drifting towards me. I motored back and trailered he boat and took my wife out for pizza. 

I give it another go on Friday. Supposed to be a typical May Wisconsin weekend, with lows in the 30's, highs pushing 50 and occasional rain. I don't know what I'd do if spring walleye fishing had better weather. It's likely to be black fly weather soon, too. I hate those little buggers, but at least they only are around a couple weeks.

The clubs come along, too. We take a break from fishing mid-day and get in a little golf.

Good fishing!

Rick

Titleist ProV1

#8 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,667 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

Those black flies are to be avoided - fishing or golfing!

I love the sounds that ice creates on the lake.

My son's dog started sprinting around the yard when he discovered ice out conditions one morning. He was in the lake swimming 2 days later.

Turkey are just spreading back into N MN. Saw flocks for the first time last summer. Some believe they compete with grouse - I hope not!

Fishing opener soon - the MN Governor always officially opens the season.

Getting my gear oiled and ready.

Texsport

#9 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Those black flies are to be avoided - fishing or golfing!

I love the sounds that ice creates on the lake.

My son's dog started sprinting around the yard when he discovered ice out conditions one morning. He was in the lake swimming 2 days later.

Turkey are just spreading back into N MN. Saw flocks for the first time last summer. Some believe they compete with grouse - I hope not!

Fishing opener soon - the MN Governor always officially opens the season.

Getting my gear oiled and ready.

Texsport

That sounds Great!

Back in Pa. there are a ton of Turkeys that hang out in the smaller spring creeks and farm lands.  Beautiful!

I was always a long range shooter so ground hogs were the sport in spring and summer.  Deer also plentiful, but dangerous.  My mom would always complain about rounds hitting the old farm hose from way off...  The old barn had a few "sight In" holes. I always wanted to return fire!!!  Just in my blood.   :rolleyes:

Heading over to the Deschutesr Rive for the Salmon Fly Hatch this weekend -- pulled my back out from doing speed drills not properly warmed up... Ouch! No golf for a while...

Heading over to Yellowstone to fish some of the opening hopefully before the 4th.  Salmon Flies are usually coming out around the  4th of July and usually a bust.

A huge, massive fly with a floating line.  The harder you punch it near the bank, the bigger the fish!  

I hit it once just before the 4th Holiday about 25 years ago and had a spectacular day -- lost count after 60 or so fish on top!   Fun,  snow on the 4th!  UnAmerican!!!  :D

Sometimes, I usually take the Sako Varrmint rifles out if fishing is slow.

Keep us Posted and Have Fun!

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 18 May 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#10 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

Bing - Man bun?!!!! Please say it isn't so! What the hecks a "Birkenstock"? Like Tex's grandfather, we don't go for that hippie stuff in these parts.

Tex - Our walleye opener is tomorrow, but our lake is still covered with ice. We've had really nice weather the past two weeks. Snow is gone. Our course opened on Monday, the courses we play north are opening today. There's a chance our lake's got some open water on it, but I'll be taking a little drive to look at a couple other [smaller and earlier to lose their ice] lakes to fish. Two weeks ago we had 30" of ice with a foot of snow on top, last weekend 24". Monday local TV news had a guy drill hole to show 10" on another lake nearby. I figure next weekend we'll be hammering the walleyes. This weekend's a crap shoot, but I'd like to get the boat in the water. Also, I have a turkey permit and if the snow isn't too deep I'll see about that. There's a bachelor flock hanging out around the golf course through the woods just 1/2 mile as the crow flies from my place.

Back to golf... Monday Kathy and I played nine after work. Our course came through the winter in fine shape. Wednesday our league started. One of my buddies shot 64. The knothead put a simulator in his house this winter, so has been playing golf for 2 months. He's grooving it! Me? I'm playing like it's early April, which weather-wise, is what it's like here.

I don't go for that CRAP either!  My wife knows how to get back at me.  :D

I see this crap all the time and its basically a different country.  They've done a great job keeping Portland Weird!  I though SF was weird...

Bing, Bing, Bing

Don't do it - my grandfather, a former Austrian Queen's Body Guard, used to warn his daughters concerning the dangers of smoking  "once a girl she smoke dat cigarette, everything else come easy"!

These things just fall in line after you start down that culturally validated road-

I use inserts in good old leather Foot Joy Classics!

I won't go near a Starbucks - I once went thru a Starbucks drive thru to buy a gift card for my wife to give as a gift. When I informed the tattooed kid at the window I only wanted a gift card but no coffee, I thought he'd faint - "Wait - WHAT"?

Texsport

P S - Got any fishing trips lined up? I'm getting ready for some Minnesota lake time myself.

Tex,  It will never happen!!!

Its just my wife way of getting a shot in, so to speak.

Austrian???  Interesting.  Grandmother from Austria.  Very tough and hard working.  Spoke 6 or 7 languages which is normal for over there at that time.  

We just went to a class from the head of Piano/Music from  Vienna, Austria.  Interesting to say the least.  Very regimented. 

Talked about Tempo -- Ohh....  Do Tell???   Yah, German Waltz is:  1,2,3!!!  Austrian waltz is: 1   2,3,4,5,6.  Much softer.  He mentioned golf and tempo.  Wife looked over and just looked at me, here he goes again on that golf stuff.... :D

Living in Portlandia, there's not a lot of us as we are all moving to the center of the country.  Idaho, Montana, Utah, TEXAS!  

And, I think Starbucks has the damn worst coffee on the planet!  Talk about man buns...

Bing

#11 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,667 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

Sounds like some great fishing is on tap!

Speaking of varmints - beaver is thy name at our place.

A couple of years ago my son was away from the lake for a few weeks and a beaver invasion cost us dozens of big birch trees along shorelines all over the lake.

Ruger .22 is the normal solution.

I've also lately taken to carrying a 9mm and a Bond Arms derringer loaded with .410 buckshot when I'm in the woods alone planting trees in N MN  - too many cougar sightings locally to be comfortable.

BTW - Its amazing how many wild critters have invaded suburban Sugar Land, Texas. We've had raccoon, possum,skunk, and rabbits in our yard just this week. Snakes generally around also. At the driving range I frequent, in the middle of town, but along a bayou, there is a family of coyotes which live in an 120 acre patch of woods bordering 2 sides. They walk around the far end of the range during the day. Pro says there are more than 10 in the pack.

Reminds me - gotta go -headed to that driving range to test drivers this morning.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 19 May 2018 - 07:57 AM.

#12 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,667 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Absolutely killing the Mizuno GT180 with Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X shaft.

Best combo in years for me!

Texsport

#13 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

Absolutely killing the Mizuno GT180 with Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X shaft.

Best combo in years for me!

Texsport

Yes, the Mizuno GT is one of  the best and with that shaft -- can't beat it!  It already has the "Face Twisted"  but Mizuno doesn't mention that in their advertising. 

Once you find the right comb of weight adjustments, I can't find anything else that compares.

Glad you are trying the IZ.  Talked with Marcus yesterday and he mentioned it may be the perfect shaft for me since I like the DI SR6 a lot but hate that wippy pop on the bottom end.  Nice trajectory and roll out at 10.5 Ping G 400.  

Question:  What is your opinion of the feel and flight?  

I am going to try a GT at our club this week and probably go with one in the next week.  

Also, been trying the MP18 SC -- really nice feel.  Never chipped in so many 8 irons.  Probably less offset.  Thicker top line, thicker sole.  

Have Fun!

Bing

#14 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

Yes!  The GT is one heck of a driver!!!  The ST 180 is the longest for carry but overall the GT is the way to go and with that IZ shaft -- can't beat it!

Trying one out this week at The Reserve.  GT vs my JPX.  Some of the longest bombs for me with that JPX and straight!  Sone very long drives with the jPX in my testing in California.  Ping is good, but not that good...  :D

Talked to Marcus last week regarding the IZ.  Sounds about perfect for me since I like the DI SR 6 but not that wippy head feeling at the bottom.  A nice option for winter golf with the higher carry and lower spin.  

Question:  What is your opinion of the feel, trajectory and spin like?  

I will try it in my Ping G400 and move to the GT a little later next month.  

Have Fun!

Bing

#15 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

Sorry for the double post!  Thought I lost it...

Bing

#16 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,667 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:51 AM

Bing

I set my GT180 for mid-high trajectory, with the face angle cog set to open at address, which looks great at address to an old, natural right-to-left player.

This head allows adjustments to trajectory, spin, loft, lie, and face angle at address.

With the IZ, a mid-high trajectory is exactly what I'm getting - hot mid-high bullets. This is slightly lower and hotter, with more rollout, than with the Fubuki K I had in my Epic driver. I'll probably experiment with lower spin settings, but I'm very happy with where it's set now.

My club guy cut the GT/IZ shaft at 45 1/2", so with the grip it's playing at 45 3/4", but easy to swing this lighter shaft.(Mizuno GT180 standard length is 45")

The GT180 head isn't super deep, so I teed it a little lower than previous drivers, but still experimenting. The sound off the GT180 is very muted unless I catch it high on the face, and the feel is different - very solid - almost soft feeling.

In summary I'm really enjoying the great feel and effortless power of the GT/IZ combination. The GT180 also corrects my occasional toed shots very nicely. The IZ feels smooth - like a uniform flex the whole length of the shaft.

I gave my Callaway Epic to my grandson.

The GT/IZ is an instant upgrade for me :thumbsup:

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 06 June 2018 - 07:55 AM.

#17 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:31 PM

Bing

I set my GT180 for mid-high trajectory, with the face angle cog set to open at address, which looks great at address to an old, natural right-to-left player.

This head allows adjustments to trajectory, spin, loft, lie, and face angle at address.

With the IZ, a mid-high trajectory is exactly what I'm getting - hot mid-high bullets. This is slightly lower and hotter, with more rollout, than with the Fubuki K I had in my Epic driver. I'll probably experiment with lower spin settings, but I'm very happy with where it's set now.

My club guy cut the GT/IZ shaft at 45 1/2", so with the grip it's playing at 45 3/4", but easy to swing this lighter shaft.(Mizuno GT180 standard length is 45")

The GT180 head isn't super deep, so I teed it a little lower than previous drivers, but still experimenting. The sound off the GT180 is very muted unless I catch it high on the face, and the feel is different - very solid - almost soft feeling.

In summary I'm really enjoying the great feel and effortless power of the GT/IZ combination. The GT180 also corrects my occasional toed shots very nicely. The IZ feels smooth - like a uniform flex the whole length of the shaft.

I gave my Callaway Epic to my grandson.

The GT/IZ is an instant upgrade for me :thumbsup:

Texsport

Thanks Tex!  Thats a nice write up.  

I have hit the GT and its on my list, top 2.  I am struggling with the Ping G400 for some reason right now.  Changed the grips to a Lampkin New Cord for the added weight (54 grams)  to mitigate the heavy swing weight.  Hardly any difference.  Probably messed up my timing.  

G 400: Played a mountain course east of Portland and it was right all day.  I went back to the car and put in the jPX driver with the orange stock shaft.  I have it set at 10.5 with center weight back and a toe weight.  I am going to try the weights in heel and toe for the most forgiveness.   Hit a few bombs straight down the middle which totally turned the round around.  Low score of the day!  

Also, played the MP 18 blade and that was one of the best irons I have hit in years.  Very workable and not bad in the Lz 5.5 shaft.  

I know of some players who prefer the ST 180 over the GT but for me a little spin helps with the misses off the toe.

I just saw a review  on golf shaft reviews, that they are saying the GD Design IZ and the YS Reloaded have the same profile.  Always loved that YS 6 shaft.  Might be a good place to start.  

So the plan is to reshaft the G400 in a GD YS Reloaded  and also the JPX.  Then GT 180 in IZ.  

Just trying to get a little higher flight since they still water around here in early spring/summer.  Thin lies and wet.  Can't win...  

BTW, I saw a Youtube video of the long drive guys "trying" to hit a persimmon driver for distance.  Good Grief... I am not sure if this was a spoof but it was "interesting" to say the least.  They all could of used the "Corker"!!

Thanks Again!

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 18 June 2018 - 01:38 PM.

#18 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,667 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:02 PM

Bing

Playing in Minnesota with bent grass fairways offering little roll.

Have adjusted my GT180 for higher trajectory and spin, trying to maximize carry.

In Texas I play the sliding weights at the 2 and 4 positions in the center slot.

In Minnesota playing the weights in the 3 and 4 positions - more weight to the rear.

Really liking the combo - very straight hitting and long. I'm getting 260 -270 yards consistently in Minnesota with the new settings.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 22 June 2018 - 10:03 PM.

#19 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

Bing

Playing in Minnesota with bent grass fairways offering little roll.

Have adjusted my GT180 for higher trajectory and spin, trying to maximize carry.

In Texas I play the sliding weights at the 2 and 4 positions in the center slot.

In Minnesota playing the weights in the 3 and 4 positions - more weight to the rear.

Really liking the combo - very straight hitting and long. I'm getting 260 -270 yards consistently in Minnesota with the new settings.

Texsport

Thanks Tex!

That is one great driver! Super straight, wonderful feel.

Having a bit of an "issue" with these over watered fairways and hitting heavy irons. Not quite heavy but a bit sticky And try and hit a fairway or hybrid -- good luck.  It's almost JULY!

Have you looked at the Mizuno fairways?  I hit one a few months ago for fun and thought they were good.  A bit low but long.  

Right now, I got a little lucky with stocks and business and just waiting for the new stuff from Mizuno in a few weeks.  Wife thinks she likes the MP18SC better... Wow! Shocking...

Going to give my daughter my 900 Tours with the Aerotechs.  Hits them long.  

Right now, I am trying to find a shaft that Is a bit lighter than my MP69s with Nippon 130's. Perfect ball flight and the feel.  Actual about 120g. Stiff, stepped 1x.  

I may go to steel and probably just go with the LZ 5.5.  Not bad...  Maybe graphite in the Mizuno offerings.  

Trying out this week a KBS Tour V in 110 grams, stiff.  

Enjoy your Minnesota summer!  

Bing