BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:6

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:41 AM

Well, its been a while, but I have been looking at the info and science for a while and have noticed that graphene is  used in a golf ball...  ??? 

In my opinion, the real advantage would be in a driver shaft since since it properties are nothing short of amazing!

Anyone know if we will be seeing graphene in our new generation golf shafts?

(got to help those long drive guys) 

Bing

#2 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:28 PM

You're late to the party my friend!  :D

http://www.aldila.com/synergy-blue-3/

#3 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,672 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

I looked at the Aldila fitting recommendations for the Synergy and they suggest an S flex for up to 265 yd carry.

Is that shaft boardy feeling because of the graphene? The torque ratings are pretty high - so it must be a shaft that plays stiffer than you’d guess?

Confusing!

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 01 May 2018 - 08:26 PM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#4 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

You're late to the party my friend!  :D

http://www.aldila.com/synergy-blue-3/

So, what else is new... :thumbsup:

it's got to be an option for the long drive guys/gals shaft manufacturers to get that last 12 to 18 inches of the tip to cooperate at those 150 mph swings.  After watching two competitors  miss the grid completely after about 5 balls each.  Got to be a better shaft material  to handle that speed.  TI tip... 

I am not sure that  the "average golfer"  would benefit from graphene.  I still don't understand why they would use graphene in a ball. Probably the first intro to the public.  Now Titanium I could see... :rolleyes:

What is the pricing on the above?

Bing

#5 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

I looked at the Aldila fitting recommendations for the Synergy and they suggest an S flex for up to 265 yd carry.

Is that shaft boardy feeling because of the graphene? The torque ratings are pretty high - so it must be a shaft that plays stiffer than you’d guess?

Confusing!

Texsport

Those are fairly high torque ratings.  One would think you would get a lower torque spec which would help the higher swing speed player.

Right now, I am looking at the Aerotech Ti shaft which should work better for me.  Currently playing a Ping G 400  with Ping Tour 65 tipped 3/4 of an inch in regular.  Not as long as some but super straight.  

I hit a Rogue fairway 3 wood with the Synergy in Stiff.  A little boards as they say.  Not for me.

Bing

#6 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:43 AM

Confusing!

Texsport

I have not tested it at all. So I really can't say, but I find that interesting as well. 

#7 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,672 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

Possibly like the X Con5 - designed originally for slower swings(high torque rating), but in an X flex, might to a sleeper for someone with good swing speed and a smooth transition from the top.

They say it's based on the Tour Blue - a shaft used successfully by smooth swingers like Miguel Angel Jimenez . There's something called a Synergy Black version.

Interesting to older players possibly?

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 11 May 2018 - 09:01 AM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

#8 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,672 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

Going to try a Mizuno GT180

Will install Webb Simpson's current driver shaft - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X

Aaahhhhh, the never-ending experiments!

Texsport

#9 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:36 AM

POPULAR

Will install Webb Simpson's current driver shaft - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X

Texsporte 

It's a great driver especially with all of the adjustments!  You'll have to buy your own Launch Monitor to find out which set up works best.

I have last years JPX driver with the standard shaft.  Long and straight.  Not as forgiving as the Ping 400 but quite a bit longer.  The shaft is just a touch stiff for me but manageable.  I lengthened it a bit , which helps.  

I would suggest going to the Mizuno site and looking at the video tutorial on the set up.  

Interesting, I am looking at the same shaft in a lighter weight.  I have the DI 6 SR which works well in the Ping.  Head weight is a bit high and they are saying its the lowest they can go, so...  Probably a new head coming.  

The standard low spin Mizuno ST is a Rocket!  No adjustments though...  Fairways are really good and hot! 

I believe Mizuno is or has been way ahead on this Twisted Face and Hot Ti face business but I am sure the new T 919 driver will be out soon.... great...

I hit the Rogue yesterday which was very good but waiting to try the Ping Max.  

Oh, BTW,  I just got an email this morning about a new "Swing Jacket" on the market.  Looks like Peter J's redux.   Runs around $140.00.

Have Fun Fishing in Minnesota!   

Bing

#10 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

Swing Jacket is by Billy Casper Golf.

Bing

#11 J13

J13

LAUNCH MONITOR KILLER

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Handicap:Scratch

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:31 AM

I think Graphene will be more useful in golf clubs then golf shafts.  Makes sense to take CF crowns a step further and use Graphene once it's cheap enough.

TM M2 / Xphlexxx Agera RF proto
TM M2 / Speeder 8.3
Callaway Big Bertha 815 20* Veylix Rome 988
Srixon 745's / Nippon Modus Tour 120 TX
Callaway MD3 - 50, 54, 60 / Nippon Modus 125
Odyssey WHP 1W (Plumbers neck) Cruiser

#12 muddyexplorer

muddyexplorer

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

Weren't nanotubes supposed to be the next big thing in graphite shafts?

#13 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

Like anything with technology, it's constantly evolving. Whatever material has a high strength to weight ratio and will allow for stiffness without added weight or increased wall thickness is going to be a plus in golf shafts. Graphene will be old news in a few years as well I'm sure, but it's cutting edge.....for now.

#14 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

I think Graphene will be more useful in golf clubs then golf shafts.  Makes sense to take CF crowns a step further and use Graphene once it's cheap enough.

Yes, that makes more sense than using graphite fibers in the crown. Cheap way of doing it if you ask me.  Might as well use sawdust with some glue... :rolleyes:  You still have to "attach" the graphite crown with glue which probably is a wash as far as weight goes vs. titanium.  

Graphene has been out for a while and is used in manufacturing various products where strength to weight ratios are very important.   Aerospace, computers, phones.

Graphene won't give golf clubs the rebound that titanium does on the face.  

There is a Piano manufacturer using graphite for their sound boards which lightness a piano immensely and the sound they say is there with the top as good as the top manufacturers.

Of course, to the American golfing market, they ain't gonna pay for that stuff.  A Golf_rx.com comment...

Bing

#15 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:50 PM

Nano tubes and Nano particles!  Still in development...

Bing

#16 petter7

petter7

BSG INSIDER

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

Doctor gave me the go ahead to swing a golf club and strike a golf ball.  :6:

Need a new driver (whole set actually). Any suggestions for a head and shaft combo? I'm guessing I'll be able to muster somewhere between 154 and 158 ball speed. 

#17 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,672 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:10 AM

Texsport

Still hitting this combo and really like it.

Texsport,

#18 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:56 PM

Hi Tex,

Over at Gearhart on the coast last week and there were two GT180's at an unbelievable price!  Wife was with me so... 

Here we go again!

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 18 September 2018 - 04:56 PM.