BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:6

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

Need to find a shaft for my next set up of irons - MP18SC.

Anyone playing the S300 or S400 TI's?

I have shafted up the following:  KBS Tour V, LZ 5.5, Modus 130 in reg and stiff, Modus 105's in MP 18 and MP 18SC.  Not happy with any of them except the Tour V in stiff.  I have a set of the AMT's in a set of JPX 900's and they re about the best but  they "ain't no"  Dynamic Golds.  

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Bing

#2 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,667 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:12 AM

My pro plays Modus 120  (Same shaft Stenson plays on Tour) and claims they are the best shafts he's hit.

They feel soft to flex but don't play that way.

High trajectory and superior distance.

Texsport

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#3 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

My pro plays Modus 120  (Same shaft Stenson plays on Tour) and claims they are the best shafts he's hit.

They feel soft to flex but don't play that way.

High trajectory and superior distance.

Texsport

Hi Tex, I hope you are doing well!

So far, I have only hit the Ping 500 7 iron in the DG 120 S300 and it was very long, too long in fact. Low spin and high.  Probably shouldn't compare that iron to a new set of Mizunos in the near future.

The Modus 120 (115 gram) would seem to have the specs I'm looking for in an iron shaft.  Softer butt, tip stiff and lighter than standard.

A few years ago they (Mizuno) put me on their shaft selector and the DG standard came up... Knew that already. -- thank you.   A little too heavy for me so that's why the question.  

With the standard DG my spin numbers where right in there and distance  was about the longest.   Long irons were another story.  

I thought the LZ was my best option but compared it to a Modus 105 and the speed with an 8 iron was around 80ish with 7800+-.  Perfect but doesn't feel all that great.  Playing the new TM -A- ball which is nice spinning ball off the irons.  

I have the Aerotechs in 110, not bad but don't like the "kick" or the waiting for it feeling.  Hate that!  Long irons are better.  

Anyway, I hope you are getting ready to pack it up and head back to Houston!  Should be cooling down to 100 by now.  :thumbsup:

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 28 August 2018 - 10:02 AM.

#4 Qwagmire

Qwagmire

We are the people our parents warned us about

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts
  • LocationVentura County, CA
  • Handicap:4.9

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

I've had KBS Tours in my last 2 sets instead of DG S300's, I think I found my new shaft.  Stiff is 120gr

TM Aeroburner 10.5 - GD DI-7  Ping G Long 3 13* - Stock           G30 19* Hybrid - Veylix 988           G30 4-PW, GW w/ PXi           Glide 54*, 58*           Rife Deep Blue 34"

#5 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,277 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:40 PM

If you like DG and want a little less weight, then DG 120 would certainly be the logical choice from a balance and bend profile perspective.

#6 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

If you like DG and want a little less weight, then DG 120 would certainly be the logical choice from a balance and bend profile perspective.

Thanks Marcus!

Just back from our local Mizuno retailer and range.  Just hit the JPX919 Tours in DG300S.  Wow!  High ball flight and long!

Seems like  Mizuno has lengthened the standard length spec a little and all my marks were almost perfect although a "tich" to the right.

"Prolly" going to order a set of these with a Hot Metal 4 and 5 iron.  Beautiful irons. Not sure how they make a GI iron look so good but HM,  Forged and Tour maybe their best work. So much for the SC.

We are waiting for the DG120 shafts to come in so that should be about perfect!

Bing