BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:6

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:18 PM

First of all, I hope you all had a great golf season and Congratulations to Rick on that superb win at his Club Championship!

I am considering how to avoid knee replacement surgery but I think the inevitable may be required.  I didn't play much golf this year, probably a hand full of rounds due to the left knee. 

I have talked to a lot of guys, not golfers however, who have had the knee replacement surgery and all say its worth the pain and agony for a month but they didn't play golf.

So, I was wondering if any of you had or knew anyone who had this surgery. 

I am going down to the Carmel/Monterey area next week and NOT taking the clubs.  Call CNN and FOX!

Please let me know what your outcome has been and if you recommended it or not.

Thanks!

Bing

#2 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI
  • Handicap:3.0

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:47 PM

Bing: I've not had any surgeries, just logging in to wish you the best, whatever route you choose! My Dad used to say "It's hell getting old" and I'm starting to figure out what he meant. 

Our golf season is over. The courses all closed 1-2 weeks ago. We have snow now. 25*, north wind, today. Up to a foot forecasted for tonight in some areas. I'll be firing up the snowblower in the morning.

My last round was two weeks ago. 6 of us teed off, playing two man best ball and total for a little cash. I shot 42 on the front in a steady drizzle, 31 on the back after being able to discard the rain gloves. We dug ourselves too deep a hole on the front and went home with the wallet a little lighter. 

Good luck!

Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana Blue 60 stiff
Titleist 915F 15*, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff
Titleist 915H 18*, Aldila Rogue Black 85 stiff
Titleist 714AP2, 4-PW, KBS Tour stiff
Titleist, SP5 wedges, 50-12F, 54-14F, 58-11K, KBS Tour stiff
Ping Craz-E 35", Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip
Titleist ProV1

"Got my gun, got my dog, killed something today. Life is good."

#3 milehighgolfer

milehighgolfer

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationBeech Mountain
  • Handicap:1

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

I have several friends that have had knee replacement and continue to play golf free of pain. Only one has had any issues following the procedure, but, he continues to play.  I'm quite sure he ddn't stick to the therapy schedule once he was released and supposed to be doing it on his own. Eveyone else has said it was worth the pain during recovery. 

#4 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

Bing: I've not had any surgeries, just logging in to wish you the best, whatever route you choose! My Dad used to say "It's hell getting old" and I'm starting to figure out what he meant. 

Our golf season is over. The courses all closed 1-2 weeks ago. We have snow now. 25*, north wind, today. Up to a foot forecasted for tonight in some areas. I'll be firing up the snowblower in the morning.

My last round was two weeks ago. 6 of us teed off, playing two man best ball and total for a little cash. I shot 42 on the front in a steady drizzle, 31 on the back after being able to discard the rain gloves. We dug ourselves too deep a hole on the front and went home with the wallet a little lighter. 

Good luck!

Rick,  Good hearing from You as always!

Went to the Ortho Knee doc this week.  A ND grad!  and were related somehow...  Very conservative approach but both are a wee bit stiff.  Told him the right is due to my "slight" sway to the right.  

Left can be worked on a bit.  Probably no golf for a while...  

Summer went awry.  Jan broke her arm/hand/wrist.  No riding for her since then.  I was own my own for the rest of the year.  Stayed home and helped opening jars, pouring coffee, etc.  Good news is that the XRays came back and the carbon fiber TIME bike  frame is fine!  

Didn't make it to Montana for the big ride or fall fishing in Yellowstone.  Oh, well.  

Figures, we have had the best fall weather of all time.  Dry and Cool and looks to stay that way for a while.  Very little golf.

Sounds like you had a great year and a fantastic trip  across the pond!

We are planning to do a trip to Ireland with one of my friends mid July.  See where it all started, etc. 

Any Ice Fishing this winter?  Always wanted to do that!

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 23 November 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#5 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:16 AM

I have several friends that have had knee replacement and continue to play golf free of pain. Only one has had any issues following the procedure, but, he continues to play.  I'm quite sure he ddn't stick to the therapy schedule once he was released and supposed to be doing it on his own. Eveyone else has said it was worth the pain during recovery. 

Thanks Mile High, That's good to hear!! 

A few of my friends have had it and most are very pleased with the outcome BUT they don't play golf -- just  lots of basketball...   My worries...

Doc says cycling is my best option but backed off since September so that may be the issue.

As they say now, We'll see what happens!

Bing

#6 milehighgolfer

milehighgolfer

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationBeech Mountain
  • Handicap:1

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:12 PM

If you have a place to exercise in the water and swim it may be worth a try until you decide to have the surgery. My wife has a bum knee and that type of exercise/therapy helps a lot to limit pain and maintain strength and range of motion.

#7 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 November 2018 - 10:11 AM

If you have a place to exercise in the water and swim it may be worth a try until you decide to have the surgery. My wife has a bum knee and that type of exercise/therapy helps a lot to limit pain and maintain strength and range of motion.

Thanks MileHigh!

Maybe warm water, in Hawaii, might work!!

I think it might have been the weather change.  Was fine until last month then bammm....

I used to swim in a heated salt water (sea) pool.  Well, just floated around in it -- awesome!!

Bing

#8 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:44 PM

Bing: 

The deer season is come and gone. No venison for the freezer this year. Second morning was -7F. I didn't last long in the tree. Once the chill hits the core, you're done. Had to get down and walk around.

I bought a used Polaris Ranger and am having snow tracks installed. I hope to get it back for the weekend. There's 6" of ice on our lake now, almost good enough for me to ride the machine on. With lows in the low teens, highs in low to mid 20's this week we'll be making ice. 

My biggest health issue is the ruptured L5-S1 disk in the lower back. Pulling a sled through snow is hard on the back. The new Ranger with tracks solves that. Now more having such a hard time getting out of bed the next day. I'm also buying a 3 man clam from my brother in law. It's a big sled with a tent that folds up and over. There's seating for 3 people inside, room to stand and move around. A Mr. Buddy heater in there and we'll be able to get inside to warm up on the colder days. The sled has a trailer hitch that attaches to the Ranger.

Our indoor hitting station and simulator should be ready to go this week. I occasionally get together with one or two of the boys, have a couple beers and hit some balls. 

Take care,

Rick

Titleist ProV1

#9 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:38 PM

Bing: 

The deer season is come and gone. No venison for the freezer this year. Second morning was -7F. I didn't last long in the tree. Once the chill hits the core, you're done. Had to get down and walk around.

I bought a used Polaris Ranger and am having snow tracks installed. I hope to get it back for the weekend. There's 6" of ice on our lake now, almost good enough for me to ride the machine on. With lows in the low teens, highs in low to mid 20's this week we'll be making ice. 

My biggest health issue is the ruptured L5-S1 disk in the lower back. Pulling a sled through snow is hard on the back. The new Ranger with tracks solves that. Now more having such a hard time getting out of bed the next day. I'm also buying a 3 man clam from my brother in law. It's a big sled with a tent that folds up and over. There's seating for 3 people inside, room to stand and move around. A Mr. Buddy heater in there and we'll be able to get inside to warm up on the colder days. The sled has a trailer hitch that attaches to the Ranger.

Our indoor hitting station and simulator should be ready to go this week. I occasionally get together with one or two of the boys, have a couple beers and hit some balls. 

Take care,

Rick

Hi Rick,

Sounds like your still moving around except for the pain!  Old guy told me about a week ago after buying a Wahoo Fitness Bike trainer, just keep moving and never stop.

Wise older gentleman and in great shape!

We have had some unbelievable fall and "winter" weather but unable to participate in anything except working.  Great... Just can't get that motivated anymore about talking to customers, engineers and the like.  Just send the check please... there's a new Mizuno driver coming out and thinking of a new bike for forest logging roads.

I though by this time I would have had most of my ducks in a row and living near Pebble or at least Bandon or Ireland.  Just keeps gettin busier.  

So, back into the Ortho doc tomorrow and see what the he- - is happening.  Told them Im ready to try anything.  Suggested I might try a different approach for pain.  Its legal in Oregon... sheesh.  

I had to finally pack up all the clubs and bags and putters away so I could not swing or look at them.  Turn all golf off except when I saw Sam Snead on the GC last week.  

Riding every morning on this new high tech bike  trainer and its a kick!  Just rode against a group from Germany.  Tough climbs. Soaking wet after 30 minutes. Rode through London on Sunday and got smoked by a bunch of women riders from Canada!  Embarrassing. 

So, I am about ready to cancel my club membership after 13 years. My wife asked me what if you can''t play anymore???  Never thought of it.   I just started thinking about it but going to try and work with all the docs.  It Just happened over night.  So, we'll see what happens...  

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  

Keep me posted because I am not going over to that BS Gofwrx.com!! 

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 17 December 2018 - 09:38 PM.

#10 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:06 PM

Bing:

Sorry to hear about the knee troubles. Whether it's a bad back, knees, whatever, anything that keeps us from being active is a hard pill to swallow. I'm with the old guy, the more active you can be, the better. Going through physical therapy, I carried those same exercises into my gym workouts, still do. There were a couple pot bellied guys in the gym, who each had two micro-diskectomies and were still not right. They watched me working out and one told me to skip the physical stuff and just have the surgery. I called BS on that. I'm in pretty good shape for 60, bad disk, or not.

By now you've seen the doctor. What did he have to say?

I use hydrocodone for pain. Nine years ago when I first blew the disk I used it a fair amount. I know 3 people who got addicted to the stuff and their lives are not the same, so I'm very leery of taking it too much. Went through the first prescription of about 90 pills in a year, then got a refill. This past golf season I didn't take any and I still have over half the refill bottle left. 

I have a friend in the cannabis business out west. They've had a number of people being cured of cancer taking CBD oil. My friend himself had a tumor on his lung. Post surgery he's cancer free and attributes it to the oil. Another is the 5 year old daughter of a neighbor and member of our club. The doctors told them there was nothing they could do for her. I just saw them at the club and the kid is doing great. The adult daughter of one of our retired members was diagnosed with stage 4 and given a grim outlook. After being on the oil for a few weeks she went back for tests and the tumor was about gone. Doctors speechless. I watched an 80 year old man with tears streaming down his cheeks thanking my friend for helping them with the oil.

The wife of our pro has bad knees. She's been using a CBD cream and it alleviates the pain. My buddy also used the oil as a topical in the area of the incision site and was playing golf months ahead of when the docs said he'd be able to. He'd be unable to lift his arm up to shoulder height, apply oil and in 15 minutes was swinging a club. I believe there are real applications for that stuff. 

I have another friend who is going through chemo and it's kicking her a_ _. But it's illegal here and after helping a number of people they've run into problems getting a supply of the oil here.

I also tried some gummies for pain a couple years ago. Took a small dose that didn't give me a buzz. I think it helped, but it was a small sample size, as I only had a couple of them.

I know the cancer cases I've described are anecdotal evidence, but if I was diagnosed with cancer I'd be taking a short leave from work and making a road trip out west to visit my buddy's company.

All that being said, I have reservations about making it legal for recreational use. We have enough people sitting on the couch on the government dole. The last thing we need is more poorly motivated people with their hands out. And these days with the way people are always on their phones while driving, do we need them to be stoned at the same time?

I had the Ranger out on the lake this past weekend. Driving it through the snow is fun. It's not a speed demon, just a tool that exponentially increases my range and options for places to fish. I'm excited to get out and reach some areas I formerly couldn't get to. 

I lost a really nice walleye at the hole. A northern had taken the bait, ran out some line and spit it out. Put on a new minnow, dropped it into the hole and fed the line down. Reeling up the slack all of a sudden the line started going out. Sure enough, a fish had grabbed the new minnow on the way down. I set the hook and immediately know it's a hefty fish. After a short tussle it comes to the hole and I see it's a big, fat walleye. I'm pulling it out of the ice, head above the surface, it flips hard and shakes the hook. As it descends back down the hole I jam my arm into the water and come up empty. I release larger walleyes, eat the smaller ones, so would have released the fish anyway, but it would have been nice to measure and take some pictures first.

Merry Christmas to you!

Rick

Titleist ProV1

#11 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:53 AM

Bing:

Sorry to hear about the knee troubles. Whether it's a bad back, knees, whatever, anything that keeps us from being active is a hard pill to swallow. I'm with the old guy, the more active you can be, the better. Going through physical therapy, I carried those same exercises into my gym workouts, still do. There were a couple pot bellied guys in the gym, who each had two micro-diskectomies and were still not right. They watched me working out and one told me to skip the physical stuff and just have the surgery. I called BS on that. I'm in pretty good shape for 60, bad disk, or not.

By now you've seen the doctor. What did he have to say?

I use hydrocodone for pain. Nine years ago when I first blew the disk I used it a fair amount. I know 3 people who got addicted to the stuff and their lives are not the same, so I'm very leery of taking it too much. Went through the first prescription of about 90 pills in a year, then got a refill. This past golf season I didn't take any and I still have over half the refill bottle left. 

I have a friend in the cannabis business out west. They've had a number of people being cured of cancer taking CBD oil. My friend himself had a tumor on his lung. Post surgery he's cancer free and attributes it to the oil. Another is the 5 year old daughter of a neighbor and member of our club. The doctors told them there was nothing they could do for her. I just saw them at the club and the kid is doing great. The adult daughter of one of our retired members was diagnosed with stage 4 and given a grim outlook. After being on the oil for a few weeks she went back for tests and the tumor was about gone. Doctors speechless. I watched an 80 year old man with tears streaming down his cheeks thanking my friend for helping them with the oil.

The wife of our pro has bad knees. She's been using a CBD cream and it alleviates the pain. My buddy also used the oil as a topical in the area of the incision site and was playing golf months ahead of when the docs said he'd be able to. He'd be unable to lift his arm up to shoulder height, apply oil and in 15 minutes was swinging a club. I believe there are real applications for that stuff. 

I have another friend who is going through chemo and it's kicking her a_ _. But it's illegal here and after helping a number of people they've run into problems getting a supply of the oil here.

I also tried some gummies for pain a couple years ago. Took a small dose that didn't give me a buzz. I think it helped, but it was a small sample size, as I only had a couple of them.

I know the cancer cases I've described are anecdotal evidence, but if I was diagnosed with cancer I'd be taking a short leave from work and making a road trip out west to visit my buddy's company.

All that being said, I have reservations about making it legal for recreational use. We have enough people sitting on the couch on the government dole. The last thing we need is more poorly motivated people with their hands out. And these days with the way people are always on their phones while driving, do we need them to be stoned at the same time?

I had the Ranger out on the lake this past weekend. Driving it through the snow is fun. It's not a speed demon, just a tool that exponentially increases my range and options for places to fish. I'm excited to get out and reach some areas I formerly couldn't get to. 

I lost a really nice walleye at the hole. A northern had taken the bait, ran out some line and spit it out. Put on a new minnow, dropped it into the hole and fed the line down. Reeling up the slack all of a sudden the line started going out. Sure enough, a fish had grabbed the new minnow on the way down. I set the hook and immediately know it's a hefty fish. After a short tussle it comes to the hole and I see it's a big, fat walleye. I'm pulling it out of the ice, head above the surface, it flips hard and shakes the hook. As it descends back down the hole I jam my arm into the water and come up empty. I release larger walleyes, eat the smaller ones, so would have released the fish anyway, but it would have been nice to measure and take some pictures first.

Merry Christmas to you!

Rick

Hi Rick and Merry Christmas!

Thank You for the great response - You are a good friend!!

Doc says arthritis in both knees and right one is the worst.  Can't figure out why the right doesn't hurt.  No, its the left! Spurs, prolly a torn meniscus and arthritis in the left.

Anyway, shot in the left knee which made it worse for about 5 days and starting to feel a little better.  Told me to keep biking, that's tho only thing that will help until all other options are exhausted.

So, CBD: I've been doing a lot of research on this and talked to a few of my doc's, they aren't allowed to say anything...  I have a whole team of them now, HaHa!  said I should try it and get back to them.  I mentioned it to one of my friends and they said they've been using it by recommendation from their friends who are nurses up on the Hill, OHSU.  Asked what kind and where do I go?  I googled Medical MJ and about 10-15 popped up in my local area.  I went down to the closest one, The Green Mart, and talked to a nice young Navy Vet, aka, a "Bud Tender".  Bought some spray in CBD, Gummies in CBD.  Also suggested a 1:1 ratio which works the best. Done!  

So, after researching MJ, I am wondering what the H---! is our government doing!?!.  You're right!! People are cured of c-----, pain, tremors, inflammation, keeps going.  So, that's how Rick Simpson Oil was started. Amazing healing and curing.  Docs still confused...  

My friend says she takes a Rick Simpsons Oil.  RSO, as its know.  Just a very high concentrated of CBD. 

Tried it and didn't do the right amount. Kicking it up a few notches right now.  

A few years ago, I had  major surgery. Doc's were saying; Mr. Hogan, I don't think you have ------.  Keep checking.  Found something.  Told him if its bad news don't call me on my Birthday and wreck St. Paddys day!  Well, things turned out pretty well but a little suspect afterwards. Had to check me every three months. Then 1 month.  Told them in the office, I don't want to hear about your negative thoughts and statistics,  I am going to be GREAT!  He called me a month later and said; Pat, You're Right, numbers are down.  I got lucky and he quit and moved to another state and I now  have  a wonderful Doc who is a main of Faith.  It's just that they can plant a tiny negative though and it goes down from there.  BS!  You can call it Positive Thinking, Faith, or whatever but too much negative thought in this world. 

My Dad had a saying:  Good enough for Arnold Palmer -- good enough for You!  I said that to the first doc and as I  walked out of the office.  I am sure  he knew about Mr. Palmer and his mens hospital in California.  Although, he was a great on the DaVinci Robot!  

Anyway, after doing a ton of research, I discovered a company in Southern Oregon called Siskiyou Sun Grown,  Totally organic and they grow medical MJ for the industry.  They have virgin soil and have various products from Hemp, CBD,  Of course, they couldn't recommend anything but told me to check out their blog, etc.  Amazing stories of healing and restoration!

Some very positive results for a majority of maladies, pain, -----, etc.  My wife with her broken hand and in lots of pain, can't use it because of the policy at work, however, the folks living there, a retirement community, use CBD, MJ etc., all of the time and not a problem with management.  I don't know....  

I've had a lot of days not able to get up and get out so I have been watching all of the business shows and they are talking about major companies forming in the CBD business.  Major CEO's going mainstream into malls, etc with creams, lotions, etc.  But not THC.  A Peter Horvath to name one and his new company has my attention.  Says that THC is  a different market - indeed! 

We have enough of those idiots in Portandia... 

Anyway, ice fishing does sound like fun!  How do you know when it's safe to go out?  

I have to ask, do you do any Muskie fishing up there?  Though about that with a heavy fly rod.  What do you think?

Best Regards,

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 24 December 2018 - 11:20 AM.

#12 rfdegen

rfdegen

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationWeston, WI

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:21 AM

Merry Christmas, Bing!

A lot of people fish muskies up here. I'm not one, as I like to eat fish I catch and muskie hunters are all catch and release. I think the "fish of ten thousand casts" with a fly rod you'd wear your shoulder out before you ever caught one. It would be fun if you did, though! I think fly fishing for smallmouth bass would be more fun and more productive. Pound for pound a smallmouth has the most fight of any fish we have in the northwoods. Smallies are really curious fish. I tell people that if they're swimming in a lake that has smallmouth, they're being followed by the fish. People think that's a crazy assumption, but they follow me when I'm snorkeling and scuba diving. While diving they'll come up within touching distance. I think the sound of the bubbles attracts a lot of fish. 

The only way to know if the ice is safe is to test it. For several weeks my neighbors have been going down to the lake, walking out and drilling holes in shallow water. 4" is plenty to hold a man, 6" for a snowmobile or ATV. My Ranger is heavier than those so I wasn't going to risk it until we had 8". We've got plenty of ice now and soon we'll see guys driving their pickups out. Need at least 12" for a truck.

When it's really cold and we're "making ice", the ice will pop as it expands. It can be a bit unnerving to be sitting out there and it's loudly popping. But especially a little later in the winter we know we're not going anywhere. We'll end up with 2 feet thick ice on the lake.

I read an article over the weekend about how there is very little clinical trial and testing for medicinal uses of MJ because it's a Schedule 1 drug. There is only one lab approved for growing MJ for research and people say the product they produce is garbage, nothing like people are growing these days. There was legislation to move it from Schedule 1 status a year or so ago, but Attorney General Sessions had it shot down.

The arthritis in the knees sounds painful. Our club Pro's wife suffers like you. She recently had a laser treatment that was to break up the arthritis in a non-invasive procedure. She said it helped. I haven't seen her in a while and now am curious as to whether the effects were short or long term.

It's going to be a quiet couple days here in the office. A lot of folks taking the week off. 

Take care and keep on biking!

Rick

Titleist ProV1

#13 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:20 AM

Merry Christmas, Bing!

A lot of people fish muskies up here. I'm not one, as I like to eat fish I catch and muskie hunters are all catch and release. I think the "fish of ten thousand casts" with a fly rod you'd wear your shoulder out before you ever caught one. It would be fun if you did, though! I think fly fishing for smallmouth bass would be more fun and more productive. Pound for pound a smallmouth has the most fight of any fish we have in the northwoods. Smallies are really curious fish. I tell people that if they're swimming in a lake that has smallmouth, they're being followed by the fish. People think that's a crazy assumption, but they follow me when I'm snorkeling and scuba diving. While diving they'll come up within touching distance. I think the sound of the bubbles attracts a lot of fish. 

The only way to know if the ice is safe is to test it. For several weeks my neighbors have been going down to the lake, walking out and drilling holes in shallow water. 4" is plenty to hold a man, 6" for a snowmobile or ATV. My Ranger is heavier than those so I wasn't going to risk it until we had 8". We've got plenty of ice now and soon we'll see guys driving their pickups out. Need at least 12" for a truck.

When it's really cold and we're "making ice", the ice will pop as it expands. It can be a bit unnerving to be sitting out there and it's loudly popping. But especially a little later in the winter we know we're not going anywhere. We'll end up with 2 feet thick ice on the lake.

I read an article over the weekend about how there is very little clinical trial and testing for medicinal uses of MJ because it's a Schedule 1 drug. There is only one lab approved for growing MJ for research and people say the product they produce is garbage, nothing like people are growing these days. There was legislation to move it from Schedule 1 status a year or so ago, but Attorney General Sessions had it shot down.

The arthritis in the knees sounds painful. Our club Pro's wife suffers like you. She recently had a laser treatment that was to break up the arthritis in a non-invasive procedure. She said it helped. I haven't seen her in a while and now am curious as to whether the effects were short or long term.

It's going to be a quiet couple days here in the office. A lot of folks taking the week off. 

Take care and keep on biking!

Rick

HI Rick!

I know the feeling of 10,000 casts -- painful  fun!  I used to do a lot of steelhead fishing on the Deschutes and North Umpqua Rivers in Oregon.  Great fish and big water and a bit dangerous wading.  The first time I "hooked" a large steelhead was on the N. Umpqua in fly water only.  2nd cast.  They call it the curse.  Nothing for the rest of the duration.

Used a 5 ft. sink tip line with a large black streamer and swung it though after the first position cast and mended up a little.  I though I had hooked an edge of the pool but it started moving down.  Oh sh..!  Fish took me down into some heavy water and getting a little worrisome since the Umpqua has a lot of sharp shelves and you need spikes on the bottom of your wading boots.  Took all my line and into the backing - snapped off about 10lb leader.  Fun!!  

During the late summer, mid September, we wait until the first big rain to move some of the steelhead up from the ocean.  During one trip, a friend suggested I try skating a large winged fly, huge on the surface with a slight tie off the head to cause a huge wake. Thought he was full of it.  So, about after an hour and a break got back in some very quiet and deep water. Position cast up and let that fly just tail out in the huge wake.  Just a little bored, happened to look away and then look back and saw a huge head out of the water chasing that thing. Wow!! Impressive. Hooked him and had a nice run but couldn't land it.  That was probably the biggest fish "hooked" on the Umpqua.  

I used to like fishing small dries to bass know as poppers.  Now, that's a lot of fun!  Better than 10,000 casts. too!

I am currently signed up for therapy next week.  I will ask my doc about the laser treatment to break up the arthritis.  Thank You!!

I actually stopped into a golf shop in S. California this week to look at a few irons, Mizujno of course, and made a couple of swings.  Not a good idea but struck 3 or 4 about the best I could. Limped out of the store.  So, there is some new motivation and hope!

Thanks Again and looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in the North Woods!

Bing

Edited by BingHogan, 29 December 2018 - 11:23 AM.