BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Handicap:6

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

Well, just sitting here on this beautiful day in Protestlandia, Oregon and wondering if anyone has tried the Shamada/Oban shafts.

I have a few 8 irons shafted up in the Nippon 950 Gh and 1050 GH but hearing some excellent reports on the Shamada and Oban extruded shafts.

I was super impressed with the 950 GH effortless and long.  8 iron close to 150 on a 53 degree damp day. The 1050 was OK.  

Researching  the OBAN by Shimada,  they are  stating  a full extruded shaft without the seam.  Also a ton of subsets for weight and flex in and around a light gram weight.  

Going into a 919 Tour head. Lovely!!

Bing

#2 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:03 PM

I have tested the Oban CT-115 and they are exceptional. Definitely one of the best feeling iron shafts that I’ve hit. Very stable, but not harsh at all.

#3 noodle3872

noodle3872

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:19 PM

Every review that I have seen or read about the Oban/Shimada shafts have been very positive.  The kicker is the $75 per shaft price tag.  

#4 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:16 AM

Heard the same but $75.00 for the shaft is a little expensive.  

Maybe worth it.  I am going to try one in a lighter 110 gram which should be right in the middle of the flex range.

I know I'll like em!

Bing

#5 BingHogan

BingHogan

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:11 AM

I have tested the Oban CT-115 and they are exceptional. Definitely one of the best feeling iron shafts that I’ve hit. Very stable, but not harsh at all.

Hi Marcus,

Regarding the Oban 115 shaft --  there are a lot of subsets, is the 115 in the middle of the spectrum?  

I am looking for something in a 110 gram or a little lighter with a mid flex that is a little higher in launch.

I have been hitting the JPX919 Tour irons and they launch a little higher for me in the JPX 900 T.  

Right now, shaft of choice is the Nippon 95 GH stiff but on the light side on the 9 and PW.  Great shafts though!  

The stiff is right in my wheelhouse as they say...

Also, wondering if you have hit the 919 Tour irons?  I think, for me, they are the best feeling and forgiving set of Mizunos I have ever hit!!  

Very forgiving and exceptional on a slight miss to the right.  

Looking forward to seeing their new driver.  I am sure Tex probably has one already!  :D

Thanks,

Bing