#1 adam62482

adam62482

BIO/CHEM DIVISION

• IED TECH

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

Title says it all, are there any golf stores in the New Orleans area that are worth visiting?

#2 BlewBayou

BlewBayou

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

The only real golf store in New Orleans is Edwin Watts in Kenner by the airport.

#3 Bug Bunny

Bug Bunny

DEMOLITION DIVISION

• IED TECH

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTupelo, MS
  • Handicap:20

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

I'm going to New Orleans in May for a week and was wondering if there were any courses that "have" to be played????

#4 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

The only courses in N.O. that I'd recommend in that class are English Turn CC (former site of N.O.Open) and the TPC of Louisiana.

The best course in south Louisiana is The Bluffs On Thompsons Creek resort in St. Francisville, about 100-125 miles NW from N.O.

Texsport
"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#5 BlewBayou

BlewBayou

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

The only courses in N.O. that I'd recommend in that class are English Turn CC (former site of N.O.Open) and the TPC of Louisiana.

The best course in south Louisiana is The Bluffs On Thompsons Creek resort in St. Francisville, about 100-125 miles NW from N.O.

Texsport

All the good courses are private in NO. To be honest NO sucks for golf unless you belong to a private course. It has to be the worst large city for golf in country. You will probably have to drive about 30 minutes to find any public course worth playing. You can try Belle Terre in LaPlace about 20-25 minutes from the airport. It is Pete Dye course, but it on the short side. It was a great course back in the 80s, but it is on the shorter side now. Depending on how far you want to drive, you can go to Covington/Mandeville (45 min) or Gulfport/Biloxi (1 hour). The only other option is Carter Plantation in Springfield (1 hour) which is a David Toms design. I have not played it, but I hear it is pretty good.

#6 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

All the good courses are private in NO. To be honest NO sucks for golf unless you belong to a private course. It has to be the worst large city for golf in country. You will probably have to drive about 30 minutes to find any public course worth playing. You can try Belle Terre in LaPlace about 20-25 minutes from the airport. It is Pete Dye course, but it on the short side. It was a great course back in the 80s, but it is on the shorter side now. Depending on how far you want to drive, you can go to Covington/Mandeville (45 min) or Gulfport/Biloxi (1 hour). The only other option is Carter Plantation in Springfield (1 hour) which is a David Toms design. I have not played it, but I hear it is pretty good.

I used to play Belle Terre when it was first built---persimmon woods and wound balata balls------thanks for the memory BlewBayou.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 24 March 2010 - 09:57 AM.

"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

#7 BlewBayou

BlewBayou

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

I used to play Belle Terre when it was first built---persimmon woods and wound balata balls------thanks for the memory BlewBayou.

Texsport

I remembered playing it in high school and have to smoke driver and 3 wood to get to some par 5s and some weren't reachable. I played it around Christmas and hit driver long/mid iron to 3 of the par 5s and driver wedge to one. It is one of the courses that the technology has destroyed. I was talking to a pga tour player last month, and he was remembering how difficult the course was back in the 80s and early 90s.

#8 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

I remember the holes that coursed through the swamp on the back 9.

Texsport

#9 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

A historical note---I watched Jack Nicklaus play his first tournament as a professional at Lakeside C.C. on the West Bank. It was also the where a buddy and I had an extended talk with Arnold Palmer. He hung around signing autographs and talking to everyone---must have been an hour long visit with the fans by "The King". How often does that happen now on Tour?

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 26 November 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#10 Guia

Guia

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Handicap:9

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

I was living in NO when Nicklaus and Palmer first played there. I have played a number of times at NO public city park, very flat, and sucked.

I waS there when the Bend opened and talked to a Coast Guard Chief who paid $2000 to play the pro-am. He drew Nicklaus and a VIP, he said Jack shook his hand on the first tee and again on the last, never speaking to him during the round. The course was designed by Nicklaus.

NO has never been a good golf destination unless you can get into a private club.

#11 BlewBayou

BlewBayou

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:58 AM

I remember the holes that coursed through the swamp on the back 9.

Texsport

There are not swamp holes left. All 18 holes have houses on them. They still have some swampy areas, but nothing like it was 10 or 20 years ago. Many times in high school I had to avoid an alligator. :lol: You could also feel the mosquitoes hoovering over you when you got to the swamp holes. A bottle of OFF was always in the bag.

I was living in NO when Nicklaus and Palmer first played there. I have played a number of times at NO public city park, very flat, and sucked.

I waS there when the Bend opened and talked to a Coast Guard Chief who paid $2000 to play the pro-am. He drew Nicklaus and a VIP, he said Jack shook his hand on the first tee and again on the last, never speaking to him during the round. The course was designed by Nicklaus.

NO has never been a good golf destination unless you can get into a private club.

As much as I hated the flat tree lined courses growing up, you miss them when you don't get to play them that much. Desert golf is fun, but it gets old really quick.

#12 adam62482

adam62482

BIO/CHEM DIVISION

• IED TECH

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:19 PM

I played TPC Louisana 3 weeks ago as the grandstands were going up on 9 and 18. The course was tough, made tougher by the X-22 rentals that I had. Shot a 44 on the front from the Dye tees without the ability to chip with a cavity back SW and AW.

The Edwin Watts store was disappointing to me. I have been to 2 in Southern Florida that I thought were much much nicer.

#13 Guia

Guia

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Handicap:9

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

Here in the SW we need a couple of alligators and cottonmouths as hazards to make me feel at home. :banana1:

Edited by Guia, 30 March 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#14 BlewBayou

BlewBayou

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Here in the SW we need a couple of alligators and cottonmouths as hazards to make me feel at home. :banana1:

I can live without the alligators and snakes, but I do miss the crawfish. :crybaby: However, I had my 1st annual crawfish boil last weekend. :thumbup:

#15 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,675 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

There are not swamp holes left. All 18 holes have houses on them. They still have some swampy areas, but nothing like it was 10 or 20 years ago. Many times in high school I had to avoid an alligator. :lol: You could also feel the mosquitoes hoovering over you when you got to the swamp holes. A bottle of OFF was always in the bag.

As much as I hated the flat tree lined courses growing up, you miss them when you don't get to play them that much. Desert golf is fun, but it gets old really quick.

I almost got shot on that course one day.

I'm walking down one of the fairways along the back, and suddenly a bullet zips past my head!

I actually heard the bullet wiz by!

I hit the ground, and my friends thought I'd thrown out a knee or something. I stayed down until I was sure it was just a stray hunter's shot----

Now that'll make you remember a place!

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 10 January 2013 - 08:30 PM.