4 replies to this topic

#1 vtpike

vtpike

BIO/CHEM DIVISION

• IED TECH

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Is there anything special that needs to be done to put a .355 taper tip shaft into a .370 iron head? Shim or taper tip ferrule?

#2 joegolf

joegolf

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

Use 355 ferrules and shims. Have done it many times before.

#3 Guest_Golfmanufaktur_Germany_*

Guest_Golfmanufaktur_Germany_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

It's not the recommended procedure, but shimming works okay in combination with 24 hour epoxy. The problem is, that you don't achieve a perfect fit and the epoxy in the lowest part of the hosel gets compressed, wich is not what this glue type is designed for. So failures happen more often compared to sets that are build with the correct shaft tip for the hosel bore. Using fast drying epoxy raises the chance for failure in my experience. And you can use a 0.370 ferrule, because the upper part of the 0.355 shaft is 0.370 anyway. And most of the times, these ferrules give a better fit, when used with 0.370 hosels. Best way is to measure the hosel OD and buy a ferrule that fits perfectly from the beginning.

Best regards,
Michael

#4 Shambles

Shambles

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

I just use steel filled epoxy.

Shambles

#5 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,116 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

It's not the recommended procedure, but shimming works okay in combination with 24 hour epoxy. The problem is, that you don't achieve a perfect fit and the epoxy in the lowest part of the hosel gets compressed, wich is not what this glue type is designed for. So failures happen more often compared to sets that are build with the correct shaft tip for the hosel bore. Using fast drying epoxy raises the chance for failure in my experience. And you can use a 0.370 ferrule, because the upper part of the 0.355 shaft is 0.370 anyway. And most of the times, these ferrules give a better fit, when used with 0.370 hosels. Best way is to measure the hosel OD and buy a ferrule that fits perfectly from the beginning.

Best regards,
Michael

Using the highest strength epoxy which I would always reccommend doing when shafting steel, I have never had any failures doing this at all. I much prefer to shimm taper tip shafts into parallel hosels so that you do not have to go with .370 parallel on unitized shafts like DG or KBS which are constant weight in taper version, but will become descending weight once trimmed individually from a .370 unitized blank.

For .370 shafts like Rifle's which are not unitized and descending weight to begin with, it doesn't really matter.