8 replies to this topic

#1 eagle023

eagle023

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

I decided today that I'm going to give mid size grips a try. I already have a stock of reg grips,,,

Does any one know how many layers of tape to equal a mid grip (tour velvet or tv cord)? And is there any disadvantage building them up with tape?

Also, does anyone know how much that amount of tape will change the swing weight by?

Thanks guys!

Edited by eagle023, 02 July 2010 - 12:35 AM.

D= Adams Speedline 10 Project X
3= Nike SQ 2
5= Nike SQ
4-5= Nike VR Procombo
6-PW= Nike VR Problades
SW= Nike VR Pro 54.10
LW= Nike VR Pro 60.06
P= EM Custom Design

#2 eagle023

eagle023

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

I guess another good question would be what tape would you use to build it up, just two sided or masking tape, or something else? I really appreciate any help. thanks guys
3= Nike SQ 2
5= Nike SQ
4-5= Nike VR Procombo
6-PW= Nike VR Problades
SW= Nike VR Pro 54.10
LW= Nike VR Pro 60.06
P= EM Custom Design

#3 Shambles

Shambles

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:21 AM

Tape weight is negligible even if you put a couple of layers on. You should not experience a swing weight change. You find your ideal size by experimentation, or you can watch a club pro do some grips.

Double sided tape is easier to use as all I do is add kerosene to slip the grips on. It's a lot cleaner, or easier to clean than a mix of contact cement and kerosene.

Shambles

#4 apprenti23

apprenti23

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

standard grip install is one wrap build up then one double sided tape.
- mid sized is plus three wraps build up tape
- oversized is plus 6 wraps build up tape

#5 Qwagmire

Qwagmire

We are the people our parents warned us about

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationVentura County, CA
  • Handicap:4.9

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

http://www.golfworks.../GripSizing.pdf

I believe mid size are 1/32, jumbo are 1/16 or 1/8, cant remember

Edited by Qwagmire, 03 July 2010 - 08:20 AM.

TM Aeroburner 10.5 - GD DI-7  Ping G Long 3 13* - Stock           G30 19* Hybrid - Veylix 988           G30 4-PW, GW w/ PXi           Glide 54*, 58*           Rife Deep Blue 34"

#6 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,064 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

Tape weight is negligible even if you put a couple of layers on. You should not experience a swing weight change. You find your ideal size by experimentation, or you can watch a club pro do some grips.

Double sided tape is easier to use as all I do is add kerosene to slip the grips on. It's a lot cleaner, or easier to clean than a mix of contact cement and kerosene.

Shambles

One strip of double sided tape will weigh 2g. So, you will counter balance the club and lose a full swingweight point for every 2 layers (4g) that you add. With him building up to midsize, he is definitely going to notice a difference in the swingweight since it is going to drop by 1.5 to 2 points most likely.

That chart that Qwagmire posted from Golfworks is a good reference. As it states on the top, a layer of masking tape equals 0.10". If you decide to use double sided tape for the build up layers as well which I generally prefer to do, you will need to account for the extra thickness of double sided tape which is about 0.15".

#7 eagle023

eagle023

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

One strip of double sided tape will weigh 2g. So, you will counter balance the club and lose a full swingweight point for every 2 layers (4g) that you add. With him building up to midsize, he is definitely going to notice a difference in the swingweight since it is going to drop by 1.5 to 2 points most likely.

That chart that Qwagmire posted from Golfworks is a good reference. As it states on the top, a layer of masking tape equals 0.10". If you decide to use double sided tape for the build up layers as well which I generally prefer to do, you will need to account for the extra thickness of double sided tape which is about 0.15".

Thanks for the info guys, that charts great. I ended up just putting 1,2,3, and maybe 4 layers on different clubs to see what I liked the feel of the most. I know its funny but two layers felt good. I didnt realize how easily someone could tell an extra later of tape.

Another question that i was wondering, if i were to have used more tape, whats the best way to swing weight. I saw some sort of weights that went into the hosel on golfsmith site. is that the best way and does it only work with certain clubs, as in do the clubs need to be made to allow for this?

Edited by eagle023, 08 July 2010 - 12:55 PM.

3= Nike SQ 2
5= Nike SQ
4-5= Nike VR Procombo
6-PW= Nike VR Problades
SW= Nike VR Pro 54.10
LW= Nike VR Pro 60.06
P= EM Custom Design

#8 Qwagmire

Qwagmire

We are the people our parents warned us about

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationVentura County, CA
  • Handicap:4.9

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

i cant figure out which size to use, and someone just put a white NDMC on a wedge and I love it. But at $9 a pop it would drive me crazy to put one on and it be the wrong size...
TM Aeroburner 10.5 - GD DI-7  Ping G Long 3 13* - Stock           G30 19* Hybrid - Veylix 988           G30 4-PW, GW w/ PXi           Glide 54*, 58*           Rife Deep Blue 34"

#9 eagle023

eagle023

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

i cant figure out which size to use, and someone just put a white NDMC on a wedge and I love it. But at $9 a pop it would drive me crazy to put one on and it be the wrong size...

You can put them on and if you decide later you want to add some tape you can pll the grip off using a tool from gs or gg.
3= Nike SQ 2
5= Nike SQ
4-5= Nike VR Procombo
6-PW= Nike VR Problades
SW= Nike VR Pro 54.10
LW= Nike VR Pro 60.06
P= EM Custom Design