NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationOntario
  • Handicap:Plus 2

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hey guys,

does anyone know how much offset is changed when you change the loft of an iron by 1*?

I used to have a link to an online calculator that you would put specs in and it spit out what it would do if you changed it but i cant remember the ratio.
I know the weaker you go the less offset and the opposite as well but does anyone know the exact ratio?

thanks
What's In My Bag
Titleist 910D3 7.5° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.2 Tour Spec X-Flex
Titleist 910Fd 13.5° w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 X-Flex
Titleist 503i 19° Prototype Utility w/ Project X PXi 6.5
Titleist 710CB/MB 3, 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Vokey WedgeWorks C-C 250.08 Brushed Chrome w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Vokey WedgeWorks C-C TVD 55 Black Oxide w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Vokey WedgeWorks C-C TVD 60 Black Oxide w/ DG Spinner Wedge +
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Button Back Newport 2 34"/3°/70°

#2 Texsport

Texsport

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 12,273 posts
  • Handicap:Handicap?We don't need no stinkin' handicap!

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

Matt,

I don't think it's so much offset as it affects face progression of the leading edge.

Just about the same thing---but not exactly.

Texsport
"The top selling beer in America is Bud Light, followed by Budweiser, Miller Light, Coors Light, Natural Light. We are officially feminized."---Joe Soucheray 2/17/12

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough golf clubs, guns, cameras, or lenses! Whenever I tell her that, she quickly adds diamonds to the list! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified 2015

#3 petter7

petter7

BSG INSIDER

• *** BLACK OPS ***

• PipPipPip
  • 20,024 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

I think it's pretty close to a 1 to 1 ratio. Like 1* weaker = 1mm less offset etc.

I wouldn't suggest bending iron lofts more than 1-2 degrees. Depending on the design of the
head, the CG can be affected by bending and also important is the change to the bounce. You
have to be careful you don't significantly alter the performance design of the club.

#4 HossOnMoss

HossOnMoss

BSG OWNER

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • Handicap:0

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

Matt,

I don't think it's so much offset as it affects face progression of the leading edge.

Just about the same thing---but not exactly.

Texsport

Bending loft does indeed affect offset as it affects face progression as well. Anytime that you change the position of the hosel relative to the leading edge of the club, it will affect both since they are the same thing. The only difference between offset and face progression is the point from which they measure, but both are a measurement of the distance from the leading edge relative to a position on the hosel.

#5 Bomberd

Bomberd

NUCLEAR ORDNANCE TECH

• IED TECH

• PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Handicap:time management

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

Something else to consider when adjusting loft is the bounce increase/decrease. The change may hurt or help your contact depending on your usual turf conditions. I can't really expand on it further because I'm not an expert.
Titty 913D2 9.5* Diamana Blue S+ Titty 913F 15* Diamana Blue S+ Titty 913H 19* Diamana Blue S+ TM Speedblades 4-AW Stock Stiff Clev RTX Tour Satin 2.0 54/10 DG W Clev RTX Tour Satin 2.0 60/06 DG W Odyssey White 1 34" 4*